Waking_wanderer
Newly Registered

Aloe plant confusion

Hi everyone. Question on my aloe plant. I received it from a friend who sectioned off hers. I put it in a pot with indoor potting soil and placed it in a spot where it has not alot of sun, but some indirectly. Within a few months, two leaves turned yellow and a little squishy and fell off. Then, a new leaf started growing and I thought it was fine but now two more leaves are falling off. They're not yellowing and mushy but when I pull the plant out, the botToms of them are mushy and they just fall off with only a little nudge. It seems like my plant has no root ball either. What's going on? Really confused. Is there anything I can do to save it? Thank you!!
Attachments
14750093971761022839555.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Is the soil moist or on the dry side? Aloe like dry soil, moist soil will cause them to rot. I mix sand or vermiculite with the potting mix so it drains better. Does the planting pot drain well?

Waking_wanderer
Newly Registered

It feels a little moist. Not completely. But not exactly dry either. I usually water it every 2-3 weeks. It's in a larger plastic pot so it might not be draining well. Maybe a smaller clay pot would be better?
Should I cut a leaf, let it dry, and then put it in a clay pot with cactus soil?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

A smaller pot with cactus soil or a blend of sand and potting soil would be better. The soil shouldn't feel moist.

I've never grown aloe from cuttings. Only from baby plants produced by the parent. Maybe your friend would be kind enough to give you another baby from their plant.

enigmaticcurses1977

I read that aloe cannot grow from cuttings but only from pups

baileysup
Green Thumb

enigmaticcurses1977 wrote:I read that aloe cannot grow from cuttings but only from pups
I thought the same. There was a lady on ebay selling aloe leaves as cuttings, so I questioned her about it. She sent me a link, but unfortunately I never looked at it. I don't think you can start an aloe vera plant from a leaf though.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”