lettxe
Newly Registered

Easter Lily Cactus- is this normal?

I just got an Easter lily cactus this past year and I'm wondering if this yellow crusty stuff is normal? I've been fertilizing it every two weeks or so. I make sure to water only when soil is dry, and its in front of a window but it doesn't get direct sunlight.
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like some scarring. When I zoomed I got a fuzzy picture but it looked like I saw a few small bumps on the succulent. That might be scale. Get a magnifying glass and see if you see the bumps. If you do rub it with a Q tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. If it rubs off, it could be scale. Mealy bugs and scale are the most common problems with cacti grown indoors.

lettxe
Newly Registered

Here's another picture. I just got this plant and I don't think it's scarring. I used a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol to scrub it a bit and nothing happened.
Attachments
image.jpg

elianamisa
Newly Registered

the same thing is happening to my cactus!! I don't know what I should do

baileysup
Green Thumb

I'm guessing it's either some kind of bug/mite, or too much fertilizer. I don't see the need to fertilize your cactus every two weeks. My cacti/succulents get fertilized once or twice a year. Also, do you use a natural or chemical fertilizer? Too much of the chemical fertilizers can harm and leave burns on the plant. I would stop fertilizing, and see if things improve.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”