newplanter
Newly Registered

Is yellowing at the base of my cacti rot or another problem?

Hello! I recently purchased some new cacti and succulents of a few different species. I brought them home and repotted them earlier today. I noticed that at the bases of some of the cacti, they are yellow. The yellowness is slightly more soft than the green (although that could just be me being paranoid) and is definitely yellow and not brown. It is not wrinkly or very soft and waxy.

My question is: Is this rot or could there be a different explanation? I unfortunately cannot provide images.

I had one cactus from before (one I rescued from a grocery store) that was definitely having rot. It was a mammillaria cactus and the rotted part was soft and deflated and brown, and really quite gross. I was sure it was rot. With these, I'm not so sure? I'm also hoping this isn't rot because 1) I just bought these from a reputable nursery and they were grown in quality soil (peat free, quick drying) and 2) they're very small cacti and though I've saved a few plants from root rot by cutting them, I don't really think I have enough plant to save. I really hope I don't lose them all :(

Asica

A lot of succulants and cacti will change color when stress. By stress, I mean that they did not receive a lot of water and got a ton of sun. I have one that is orange and red aloe. The plant will look little bit wrinkle. It is hard to tell what you are dealing with without a picture, but yellow is a possibity of stress. I stress my because I love the colors. You want them green, just water them!

imafan26
Mod

post a picture it might help

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Picture is worth 1000 words. Yellow only near the soil sounds like soil is too wet. Soil needs enough sand so water you pour in the pot runs right out the bottom. Remove cactus from soil give it NO WATER for a month see what happens. Cactus are hard to kill but once a cactus decides to die it is hard to save the bad part is like cancer it will kill the whole plant. Let the cactus air dry, keep it laying around in the shade, don't let it get wet, maybe yellow will clear up but maybe not. Some cactus are extremely sensitive to too much water and some are not. If you have San Pedro cactus then I know for a fact wet roots are the problem. Yellow problem will either get better or worse. If it gets better plant in, sandy, well drained soil, 80% sand, 20% potting soil. If it gets worse cut the yellow end off with a knife about 1/2" into the good green parts of the cactus. Let the cactus air dry 1 week. When the cut end is scabbed over it is ready to plant in well drained sandy soil. Plant the whole cactus 90% below the soil with only 10% sticking out. Water it once a week be stingy with water. In a month it should be growing new roots. In another month it will grow a new top. San Pedro takes 4 months to grow roots and new tops. Your weather conditions have a lot to do with how the cactus does. Cactus loves 70 degrees shady weather but it can tolerate 115 degree full sun and 25 degree blizzard with snow and ice. Desert soil is deadly to many plants because ph is 8, soil has no food value, it wont hold water. You give cactus growing conditions better than desert it will grow 12" in 70 degree weather. If you live some place that is not desert do not plant cactus in your yard soil, it needs a raised bed to keep the roots dry. Do Google search for the type cactus you have, find out where it naturally likes to grow and what weather conditions are at that geographical location. Cactus at low elevation get little rain and high elevation get lots of rain and snow. If you swap 2 cactus low elevation cactus to a high elevation and high elevation cactus to low elevation they will both die but at home you can duplicate its favorite growing conditions. San Pedro cactus is the only cactus I know that will turn yellow from too much sun plant it in the shade with 2 hours of early morning sun.

Erinalovebird
Newly Registered

I have the same question. I have attached photos of mine. I removed them from the pot so I could show the extent of the yellowing and rooting. The yellow part does not seem to be any softer than the green part. I planted them in July, it is October now. I have not watered them but they have occasionally been slightly rained on, they are under an eve, but get a bit of the precipitation if it comes down. Also I have realized that they may get a misting of water from the sprinkler which points away from them but the wind may send some of the moisture back to them. I live in Sonoma county in northern California. It is hot and dry, though it is cooling and typically rain will be coming this winter. I had these Cactus planted in pots on the east side of the house getting about half a day of sun. I also took a photo of the soil I am using. It is marketed as fast draining Cactus soil and I added more Pearlite drainage. Are you suggesting I should mix sand in as well?

I'm also wondering if this is just the normal change to the part of the cactus that is under soil?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

It looks like roots are growing from the bottom. If so, that's what you want.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Erinalovebird wrote:I have the same question. I have attached photos of mine. I removed them from the pot so I could show the extent of the yellowing and rooting. The yellow part does not seem to be any softer than the green part. I planted them in July, it is October now. I have not watered them but they have occasionally been slightly rained on, they are under an eve, but get a bit of the precipitation if it comes down. Also I have realized that they may get a misting of water from the sprinkler which points away from them but the wind may send some of the moisture back to them. I live in Sonoma county in northern California. It is hot and dry, though it is cooling and typically rain will be coming this winter. I had these Cactus planted in pots on the east side of the house getting about half a day of sun. I also took a photo of the soil I am using. It is marketed as fast draining Cactus soil and I added more Pearlite drainage. Are you suggesting I should mix sand in as well?

I'm also wondering if this is just the normal change to the part of the cactus that is under soil?
The discoloration is normal from not getting light underground. Both have really nice roots forming, so you're good to go. They are beautiful cuttings. I'm jelly

Greengator68
Newly Registered

Hi there,
I am also having that problem. I know mine is from water damage. I'm trying really hard to save it. I've un-potted it and cut off a rot spot, but I'm not sure if I have to remove this yellow or not? I'm so overwhelmed and heartbroken! Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg

EmPen
Newly Registered

I am also having an issue with yellowing cactus. I'm also not sure why the cactus grows so thin. I've had this cactus for a few years, when I got it it was short and stocky, and it grew fast but thin. Now the growth has slowed down and it is yellowing at the base. Any thoughts?
Attachments
0615171530.jpg

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”