djlen
Green Thumb

PORTULACARIA afra - Care and Feeding?

PORTULACARIA or Elephant's food Jade plant is a succulent I've been propagating for years and still I'm trying to find out how to keep them growing over the Winter when I bring them in to Winter over.
Everything I've read tells me that they don't grow much, if at all over the Winter but being the hard-headed one that I am I am not satisfied with that conclusion and so I'm seeking advice from anyone who has specific knowledge on making a start on getting this plant not just to remain dormant during the Winter but hopefully what I can do to make them flourish and grow like crazy.....lol. Feeding regimens etc.?
I grow all kinds of Crassula ( the regular Jades most folks are familiar with). They continue to grow well for me all Winter long. I want to get the "Ports" growing like that. Seems like this should not be a problem with the house warmth and plenty of fluorescent lighting overhead.
Comments or advice would be appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow succulents, I'm just throwing my two cents in because you didn't get a response...

I am always leery of attempts to "make" plants do anything. Plants have things they are genetically programmed to do. While at times, with the right efforts, we can "make" them do something different, they rarely thrive that way. As near as I can tell, your baby jade is programmed to rest and be mostly dormant in the winter. If you find a way to force it to keep growing, it will probably get exhausted and not do well in following seasons.

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reply. You are always there to help out, even when no one else is.
I have had success forcing certain plants to get an early start in the Spring, like my Trident
Maples which will swell and bud out just by bringing them in in February and exposing them
to the warmth and light I can afford them.
In this case I am just trying to find ways to keep the Jades happy looking instead of dropping so
many leaves and looking bedraggled by mid-Winter. From the response I've gotten here and
elsewhere I guess most others are in the same boat as I am and they really need to go into deep
dormancy even with the light I have for them.
So anyway....thanks again.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”