applestar
Mod

Re: HELP!My Aloe vera pups are dying!

Hm. You only posted your question two days ago....

Do you have more pups to start over with? I'm wondering if you had kept your separated babies in the sun? Also, am wondering if you had let the separated pups dry and callus before planting (was that asked before?)

Let's start from the beginning if you have more to work with, and get all the details straight. It's easier if you can pull off the pups with even a little bit of roots.

Will you have chance to get supplies this time or are we still working with whatever you can find around the house? Nothing wrong with that -- you just have to be inventive. (I've done this too at one time or another, hence my alternative suggestions -- BTW I said be careful with eggshells because you could hurt your fingers/hands with the sharp edges. But if you were wondering, you can sanitize the eggshells to your own level of satisfaction... Wash with soap, dry in the sun, bake in the oven, etc.). Not my favorite, but you could also sacrifice plastic pellet filling from a stuffed toy -- usually used for the feet.

Collext

rainbowgardener wrote:what they sell as "paver sand" in all the big box stores works fine. Gravel is sold in pet shops for aquariums. You could use at least partly potting mix for cactus.
Oh really that's wonderful. I assume it doesn't have salt?
I was worried it would have salt because it's very cheap but says nothing about gardening,
Is this okay?https://www.lowes.com/pd_383567-79138-XA ... facetInfo=

Collext

applestar wrote:Hm. You only posted your question two days ago....

Do you have more pups to start over with? I'm wondering if you had kept your separated babies in the sun? Also, am wondering if you had let the separated pups dry and callus before planting (was that asked before?)

Let's start from the beginning if you have more to work with, and get all the details straight. It's easier if you can pull off the pups with even a little bit of roots.

Will you have chance to get supplies this time or are we still working with whatever you can find around the house? Nothing wrong with that -- you just have to be inventive. (I've done this too at one time or another, hence my alternative suggestions -- BTW I said be careful with eggshells because you could hurt your fingers/hands with the sharp edges. But if you were wondering, you can sanitize the eggshells to your own level of satisfaction... Wash with soap, dry in the sun, bake in the oven, etc.). Not my favorite, but you could also sacrifice plastic pellet filling from a stuffed toy -- usually used for the feet.
They're health is degrading incredibly fast. Though a couple I think will survive.
No more pups, but the mom plant is still doing well I could try to do it again next year or just buy a plant from the store for $4 when in comes in stock, but it won't be organic....
I answered before, but no I did not give them enough time to callous because my mom and I wanted to get it over with and we're not used to this. I learned my lesson.
Once planted I let them outdoors, but that wasn't too good for them because they had lived they're lives in the shade before with the momma plant. So I put them inside but made sure they were in a room where they would get the most sunlight possible.
My mom gardens a lot but if paver sand like this https://www.lowes.com/pd_383567-79138-XA ... facetInfo=can do the trick I can go to lowes today and buy it. In fact I will buy it, hear someone's reply and either use it or return it cause I probably need to go to lowes again afterwards anyways.
I feel like perlite is too expensive though since I'm assuming 8 quarts isn't that big since 20 quarts potting soil can be bought for less the price.

Collext

rainbowgardener wrote:what they sell as "paver sand" in all the big box stores works fine. Gravel is sold in pet shops for aquariums. You could use at least partly potting mix for cactus.
"The worst possible choice is "Joint Lock" or "Paver" sand which is sold to inexperienced "Do-it-your-selfers" as a leveling medium and bed for brick work. This sand is "Polymer modified," which means that it contains an additive that will harden when it gets wet. "
I found this on the internet?

applestar
Mod

Look at the package instructions. The kind you are talking about will say something like sweep into gaps between pavers/bricks then spray with water to set. You could also test by putting some in a cup and adding a bit of water.

All purpose sand should be fine.
I've used underlayment gravel/pebble mix for pavers as well as untreated gravel/sand mix for filling between pavers. If in doubt or if you want especially "clean" substrate, you can also rinse the sand/gravel before using. All kinds of stuff float and sink out of them. :x

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”