cass2828

Compost tea Doubt

:? I went over board and set up a LARGE DRUM (more than 100 liters and less than 600 liters)( I don't know the exact amount.. I will update later..

I dropped 3 small sacks of compost and a pinch of cane sugar and I am aerating it with a aqarium air pump with two air stones but base on what I have read online I should see froth on the top in a few hours
(or should I?) but I am not seeing any froth, does this mean my compost tea is not working?? :eek:

applestar
Mod

Did you use non-chlorinated water?

If the volume of water seems more than typical, it might just be taking the microbes longer to populate the tea. I would think no need to worry unless you don't see any growth activity within 8-12 hours.

How much compost exactly did you use, and what kind of compost? Where did you get it?

cass2828

yup I uses non chlorinated water and I used vermicompost about 12 cups of it...I bought it at the store

thnx for the reply applestar

imafan26
Mod

I think that is a large volume of water for 12 cups of vermicast. I usually use a sock with about 2 cups of vermicast for a 5 gallon bucket (approx 19 liters). I think it is probably just going to be weak tea. The microbes should still multiply but they won't be as concentrated.

cass2828

I see some signs of life!!! anyway... to compensate for the microbes I added some ((panchakavya) it is a indian microbial fertilizer made from cow's urine cow dun milk jaggery and some other gross stuff but it is very high in microbes

Return to “Composting Forum”