jul1799

Flower power for compost tea

Good day,

I had hard time to find kelp meal and was recommended flower power 4-10-4 . it is recommended for flowers and veggies and contains:
fish meal
bone meal
green sand
canola seed meal
Langbeinite
kelp meal
rock phosphate

Can I use it in compost tea and how much I would need to use it per 5 GaL?

I assume there is a small percent of kelp meal . Would it be better to look for individual fish meal and kelp meal, or composition solution is ok?

thanks!

applestar
Mod

This won't be the same as compost tea at all. Most of the ingredients won't dissolve completely or leach much of the nutrients so the tea constituents will be unevenly dissolved and if you dump the solids afterward elsewhere, then the plants that got the liquid and the plants that got the solids will have received different nutrients.

Moreover, the point of compost in the tea form is that the living microbes in the compost are propagated and multiplied, especially if you aerate.

...OK I re-read your post -- you are saying you are going add this fertilizer in place of kelp meal as an addition to compost tea? I normally just add a Tbs of molasses in a 5 gal bucket so addition of all these nutrients will change the nature of the microbial bloom. I'm thinking more bacterial than fungal.

My understanding is to add extra nutes AFTER brewing -- at last minute just before using.

jul1799

A lot of articles for compost teas suggest to add some fish meal or kelp meal canola or cotton seed meal. I do not know much about other ingredients

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

but of course the main ingredient in compost tea is compost! :) I make a very simple one with de-chlorinated water, compost, and molasses, only.

Return to “Composting Forum”