Hi there,

I finally made my composted tea.
My air pump is Marine75 and supposed to be up to 100L/25 Gal
I have buckets with 5 Gal each and placed slitter for 2 buckets

I have placed
in the de-chlorinated water
about 1 pound sour-cream cup of compost and
5 tbl spoons of molasses.

It did not foam much after 2 day and looked much lighter then on other's pictures.
After day 2 it did not smell bad, so I diluted 1:1 and used for watering. I did not noticed any changes in the morning:) I had 2 sad looking cucumbers. They still look sad I think that my sorrel and basil went in reddish color, but I can be also mistaken (I did not make photo "before" and "after")

Questions:

Should I put more compost and /or molasses?
Is my pimp looks powerful enough? I am not sure how pump can serve 25 gal as it seems it has issues with 10:(

where one can buy molasses, other then in grossery store? Would pet smart or something like that carry it? Black strap molasses is not easy to buy in Canada (at least in my area) we mostly have fancy molasses in stores . While I do have some stock now, I bought it for making bread, not compost tea and will soon run out of it:) Can Malt syrop be used instead - I have brewery near by. What kind?

Can you please share ideas of easy diluting/watering ? 20 l buckets are quite heavy to lift:)

thanks a ton.
Attachments
20160610_062729.jpg
20160610_062725[1].jpg

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hi jul, it looks like no one has answered your questions! Sorry about that.

I am not compost tea expert but I will try.

The Marina 75 pump is rated for aquariums up to 25gal. That just means it will transfer enough air to serve a fish tank that size. This does not necessarily translate to compost tea. Bu if your tea does not smell bad that means it is getting enough oxygen.

For ideas on amounts of ingredients, see the thread at the top of the forum on Aerated Compost Tea.

I am not sure where to get molasses except perhaps at a livestock feed store. They may have an inexpensive grade to use for feed.

Good luck and report back how it's going!

jul1799

thank you for reply.
I end up getting second pump for second bucket, even they are just 5 gal each. Now I have a lot of bubbles :)
we have about 30+ C degrees now ( I have no idea in F, ). I found that after 48 hours it smells more like river water, not bad, but still, I have decided with high heat to limit tea to 24 hours.

I am looking for feeding store, apparently it is not easy. Thank you for advice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just buy molasses at the grocery store. You just want to be sure it is "unsulphured."

The malt syrup should work fine. You just want some simple carbs to feed the microbes.

jul1799

thank you.

You might be surprised, but we mostly have Fancy molasses in stores. I think this is sulfured (not sure) one and has little of nutrition value. I am buying unsulphured blackstrap molasses for my bread in the same store as a flour twice per year.
I did read that people use just sugar, so may be fancy molasses would be fine?
I think I have some malt syrup , I can experiment as it should have some nutrients, beside sweetness.

I have place 2 identical buckets yesterday. One has foam , another one does not: ) go figure.. It is very hot in here, and I do believe that 48 hours is bit too much for the conditions.

Return to “Composting Forum”