applestar
Mod

Re: Compost flooded

Do you have something like a sump pump or pond pump?

I think I would dig a sump hole, push a pond basket and use netting or pond filter or something similar to filter (wrap the basket, wrap the pump, however most suitable for the pump -- depends on type of pump, too) then pump out the water, which is really compost tea. You can keep that aerated in a container (tub, barrel) or dilute and use right away.

Maybe push some drainage "tiles" into the compost pile to provide more air to help keep it from going anaerobic.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The water going through the compost pile would make nice 'tea'. Perhaps build a little canal for the 'tea'. I don't know what it looks like or how big or hiw feasible this would be. Just throwing out an idea.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Well, I just read Apple's post after I posted. Looks like I'm on board with Apple's idea to salvage the tea. Apple definately knows more than I do about such things.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Gutter, that's a good idea, should be easier than digging. I used to care about how things look but am getting to be less that way. As long as it works. Some stuff that I do looks weird but I don't really care. Sometimes I think weird is better than normal. What is 'normal' anyway?

imafan26
Mod

When it rains a lot here, and that can be for days at a time, we put tarps over the piles to help keep them drier. They still get wet from the bottom, but my pile is actually on higher ground so water won't stay collected under it. The pvc pipe is a good idea. You can also add more drilled pvc pipes to the pile to infiltrate more air into it.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yeah! Glad it worked out. Sometime I cover my compost bin with a small plastic child's pool. My bin is small and round, so it works. Yours compost bin probably bigger than mine. I only cover mine in the dry months, to keep the worms happy.

applestar
Mod

Yay! And you harvested compost tea. :D

...did you say this was a problem we were trying to solve? Sure sounds like everything is fine :lol:

Return to “Composting Forum”