skywalker
Newly Registered

Help!! Maggot Diarrhea in my composting bin

I’ve been composting the weeds and oak leaves of my property in Southern California for the past 4 years in a 22 sf compost pile. Any kitchen leftovers (veggies) land in the compost bin first before to partially compost before being added to the big pile. 2 weeks ago I started seeing maggots, about 3/4 inch long, whitish, in my bin. Today, the contents of the bin is nothing but repulsive smelling brown slime with thousands of maggots squirming in it. Looks and smells like the maggots have diarrhea. What to do?? The smell is unbearable. Nothing I have ever smelled growing up in the countryside and in gardening all my life. Can I drop this mess on my large compost pile? Or will that turn that into brown slimy stink too? Should I drop this on my southern sandy slope and try to eradicate the creatures. Help please. My stomach is churning and I don't want to ruin my compost.

JC's Garden

Pictures please.
If they're what I think, you need to let them do their job and add some fallen leaves to get your greens and browns back in balance.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

IMO your compost is too wet. Fork in some browns.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Kitchen waste should always be mixed or layered with some dry browns immediately, regardless of where you intend to move it later. Otherwise this is the result.

Return to “Composting Forum”