meshmouse

Compost: Dried Out

I recently discovered a forgotten compost pile that has been covered by a kiddie pool (1 x 4 ft) for at least the last few months. It was relatively dry and with very few worms. There is about 40 - 50 gal worth.

I took about a gallon of it in a 5 gal bucket, added aged water and aeration stones pumped by a decent 'fish tank' compressor, and noticed that after 24 hrs, the 'foam' wasn't what I would normally expect from an ACT brew . After 48 and 72 hrs, much the same.

Should I assume the microbiology has suffered, in fact died? Does it have any value? Should I mix it in with active, healthy compost? Other than the fact that it lacks worms and doesn't foam with aeration, it is beautiful stuff.

Any suggestions? - meshmouse

applestar
Mod

Since the texture is already finished (organic humus -wise), I'm thinking you might just want to re-inoculate with good AACT to a nice "wrung out sponge" moisture level, then let the microbes settle in for a bit in a separate vented container or on the ground, or tarp or ... (some place weed free and not leaching).

meshmouse

Thanks applestar -

That can easily be done. I'll bring in some mature, but not finished compost to help it along, on a tarp for a couple of weeks. Then I'll try brewing ACT with it again and see what happens. I mean, it does have nutritional value, regardless, correct? - meshmouse

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Perhaps I think too simple and basic....uncovering a pile of forgotten compost sounds like finding the $5 or $20 one forgot about.
Why not just dampen, so not really dry, and work it in the beds? Throw some more fresh in with it perhaps. The worms will be there.

imafan26
Mod

The microbes may be gone without moisture and spent fuel they would have starved or moved on by now. It may still have some organic matter left in it so add it to the garden.

applestar
Mod

I agree that the microbes are no longer in active biological activity. Some may or may not be in dormant state that would revive when moisture, etc favorable conditions are returned. That's why I think it's best to re-inoculate with beneficial microbes.

Remember that compost in and of itself has only a small percentage of what is called "nutrients" and what is conventionally considered "nutritional value".

I think existing medium probably can be a good microbial substrate given added food for them to resume their foodweb cycle. As it is, I agree that it would provide organic matter, etc. to soil.

meshmouse

Susan W -

Thank you for the response.

I agree, it's found money. I did take 5 gallons and top dressed a mess of plants this morning. Rain tonight.

The lack of worms got me thinking tho, is the microbial component still active? Which led me to try to make tea with it, just to see, and well, apparently not. Who knew.

So I'm going to do as you and applestar and imafan suggest and wet it up and mix it up with some known, active (not quite finished) compost to rejuvinate it and then try to make tea once again. I'm sure it'll do fine. It's still got everything else (nutritionally) going for it I believe.

aplpestar -

when you say - Remember that compost in and of itself has only a small percentage of what is called "nutrients" and what is conventionally considered "nutritional value" - do you mean that minus the microbial component, compost doesn't have quite the same nutritional value? Perhaps then that the microbes help the nutrients be available to the plants? Just wondering.

meshmouse

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Microbes, like people, are mostly water, so when they dry out, they die or go dormant if they are able to. But since your soil is full of microbes already, it's not really a problem. It's compost so use it as compost. If it was a dried out pile of compost ingredients, you'd definitely need to re-wet it and get some active microbes into it, but if it's already compost, I wouldn't worry about it.

imafan26
Mod

The NPK of compost is less than 1. Compost/organic matter's real benefit is in improving the water holding capacity of the soil, improving soil tilth, and most importantly feeding the soil web.

When you use organic and some synthetic fertilizers and especially if you are changing pH with sulfur, you do not feed the plants directly. Synthetic fertilizers are made to break down into a form that is readily available to plants and to soil organisms. Organic compounds are bound and that is the reason they are slow release vs synthetic fast release. Organic fertilizers and sulfur to lower the soil pH must be changed over time by the soil microbes and converted into a form that is active in the soil to lower pH and broken down into a form that the microbes and plant roots are able to use.

The soil microbes do not do all of this work for the sake of the plants. The soil organisms consume the organic and synthetic components to maintain their existence. However, organic chemistry is a low energy system and is very dependent on pH, temperature, and probably the availability of catalysts as well to move molecules in one direction or another. When the soil organisms die they release what is stored in their bodies back to the soil and in turn to the plants.

Mother nature always tries to do the right thing, but always in the most efficient way possible. If synthetic fertilizer is readily available in a form that the microbes and plants can use, the soil and plants will use it rather than expend energy making their own. As far as the plants and soil microbes are concerned there is no difference chemically between a synthetic nitrate and an organic one.

Microbes though need more than chemicals alone to survive, they feed on the carbon in organic matter. Organic matter improves the soil quality and because organic fertilizers need to be broken down by soil microbes, and the microbes are not going to waste their time producing more than they need, organic compounds take longer to get to the plants. When you start with a barren patch of ground the soil microorganism population is not very large by comparison to one that has had regular organic matter added to it. It is why, in the beginning, unless you keep adding fertilizer, plants are healthier, but smaller than with synthetic fertilizers. After about 3 years, the soil population is high enough to get comparable yields.

Organic gardening, is called sustainable, but it requires huge and continuous inputs and most of that for most people comes from sources outside the immediate area.

applestar
Mod

There you go -- I am not good with the scientific details -- so glad there are smart people here who can explain these things so well :wink:

meshmouse

Yes, thank you all. I learned a lot. - meshmouse

Return to “Composting Forum”