Gilcano

My DIY Compost tumbler

Hi everyone, I made a compost tumbler and I would like to give it a try this summer. I'm planning to make some compost with it. I'm collecting some coffee grinds, eggshells, vegetable scraps, etc. but I'm not an experience fellow so I would appreciate any comments. Here are some pictures.

:cool:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Please do read the Composting 101 and composting basics threads at the top of the Compost Forum.

Compost needs to be made from a mixture of nitrogen sources ("greens," soft, moist) and carbon sources ("browns," hard, dry). Everything you mention is greens. You need to mix it with some browns (the Compost Forum also has an ingredients list thread with suggestions for greens and browns), such as fall leaves, shredded paper, straw, etc.

Having only greens, it is likely to turn into a slimy, smelly mess.

You said you want to start in summer, but you are collecting vegetable scraps now? They will be all turned into goo before summer. Why not start now?

I add stuff to my compost pile all winter. In my climate, the stuff just freezes and sits there, but as soon as it warms up, the pile goes back to work and in the meantime the freeze-thaw cycle has been breaking things down.

Gilcano

Everything you mention is greens. You need to mix it with some browns (the Compost Forum also has an ingredients list thread with suggestions for greens and browns), such as fall leaves, shredded paper, straw, etc.
Thanks for your comments, sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I know you have to get the proper ratio of "greens" and "browns". I just mentioned what I'm collecting because browns can be easily obtained with shredded newspaper and/or leaves (which I have plenty in the back yard.

You said you want to start in summer, but you are collecting vegetable scraps now? They will be all turned into goo before summer. Why not start now?
When I said "summer" I mean to have the compost ready by then. Thanks again and I'll read the compost 101 section.

applestar
Mod

It looks like a neat device. I hope it will work for you. For myself, the need to cut things small for best results in the tumbler was a bit of a chore especially when dealing with yard waste. But I know they do work for people who are primarily using household waste OR fallen leaves and grass clippings as main ingredients.

Make note of the fact that tumblers should be filled something like 3/4 full, then no more ingredients are added while they break down into compost. Unless you chop everything down to "postage stamp size" it will take longer than the advertised "2 weeks" -- more like 2-3 months or more. So you really need at least a second composter if not 3rd.

From what I have been reading (not doing this myself in tumblers) IDEALLY You would start with two full tumblers, then combine the half broken down contents into one, then have a third one that you would fill with fresh ingredients along with the now empty 2nd one. After that, you will have a continuous system going. When first tumbler is finished, combine the half finished from the other two... and so on.

Now, I am not mechanically inclined, but just a bit of observation based on my brief stint with my end-over-end tumbler. Once everything is added with adequate moisture levels, the drum gets VERY HEAVY. You may want to consider a cross or other appropriate braces on those legs. I would also make the handle longer for better leverage when turning. Hopefully everything else is sufficiently strong. You may need to somehow anchor the legs so the top-heavy unit doesn't fall over? (Sand bags?) You may have noticed a lot of the commercial ones have a lower center of gravity.

Finally, if it's going to sit on the concrete, you'll want some kind of a drip pan.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

VERY nice and helpful comments from applestar.

Sorry, if I was telling you things you already knew.... :oops: :oops: it wasn't clear to me

Gilcano

It looks like a neat device.
Thanks
Make note of the fact that tumblers should be filled something like 3/4 full, then no more ingredients are added while they break down into compost. Unless you chop everything down to "postage stamp size" it will take longer than the advertised "2 weeks" -- more like 2-3 months or more. So you really need at least a second composter if not 3rd.
I don't like the idea of having two or three compost barrels but I have enough space to built something on the ground to collect leaves and such

You may want to consider a cross or other appropriate braces on those legs. I would also make the handle longer for better leverage when turning. Hopefully everything else is sufficiently strong. You may need to somehow anchor the legs so the top-heavy unit doesn't fall over? (Sand bags?) You may have noticed a lot of the commercial ones have a lower center of gravity. Finally, if it's going to sit on the concrete, you'll want some kind of a drip pan.

Yes I modified the base a little, maybe this will help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a start, but I'm thinking you still may need more bracing/ balance:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Looks good! Not sure what those black and white circles are on the ends, but just keep in mind you'll need some drainage and aeration holes. Small ones around the barrel for drainage of excess liquid, and larger ones for air circulation, maybe on the ends.

I'm concerned about one aspect of the design: the center axle goes through the drum on either end, so all the weight of the compost and drum will be on that thin plastic that the axle sits on. You might have to reinforce that if it becomes a problem. Notice the last pic above of the metal tumbler: it has a big black X on the end, probably some kind of reinforcement.

Happy composting and report back on how it works!

Gilcano

toxcrusadr wrote:Looks good! Not sure what those black and white circles are on the ends, but just keep in mind you'll need some drainage and aeration holes. Small ones around the barrel for drainage of excess liquid, and larger ones for air circulation, maybe on the ends. [/quote\

Those caps are bung holes that's what some people called them
I'm concerned about one aspect of the design: the center axle goes through the drum on either end, so all the weight of the compost and drum will be on that thin plastic that the axle sits on. You might have to reinforce that if it becomes a problem. Notice the last pic above of the metal tumbler: it has a big black X on the end, probably some kind of reinforcement.
Yes I was thinking to cut a piece of round playwood or some metal drill a hole and put it inside the barrel. In the mean time I installed flanges in both ends of the axle.

Gilcano

sorry forget to tell you, The black circles are vents.

Return to “Composting Forum”