The_Sanctuary

Sterile or "WHAT?!" patch of soil

Hiya,

Question: Would vegies grown here be safe to eat? Should I stick to things not picked off the ground? I know it sounds or seems like a silly question... (at least it does to me for some reason..)

Okay... so ever since everything's been cemented and structures built over, we have just a few side "patches" of soil around the "yard."

Supposedly, this whole place had rich soil since back in my mom's grandpa's days, it's been rice fields and farms all over the place.

It's probably been about 12 years since I last saw the last inches of original soil on the ground here. Ever since, the ever-increasing stray cat population that fancied this area as their territory uses this patch as a toilet.

Some most probably weeds, and random plants I couldn't identify, would grow here. As well as, Katakatakas (I know~ tongue-twister). My grandma cleared everything out and left 2 unknown saplings that were growing, the fortune plant, and a weird long-leafed plant of sorts.

I wasn't sure of the stray cats' diets; the water from the rooftops gush down here; half of the patch gets sun, and half is under shade; and I have no idea what may live here...

Threw in some pumpkin seeds and bell pepper seeds I collected last December from holiday food preparations. Over 18 pumpkin seedlings sprouted the first week of January, and just last week a few curious possibly bell-pepper seedlings came out too. The latter now has 9 of them. I'm new to all this... and so I'm just assuming that the other things growing there in great numbers are weeds. But until I'm completely sure, or can be sure, I won't pull them out...I'm too scared of pulling them out...

Thanks for your thoughts in advance~!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A good, complete description of the prospective garden area.

Here is a one word caution, with a Wikipedia article link. Personally, I would want to think of some way to have the crop well above the soil. Vines on trellising seems like a good idea. Meanwhile, getting the soil very active with compost. Finally, keeping the cats out of your growing area! Guard your garden.

Toxoplasmosis

Okay, here's another: toxoplasmosis

Steve

The_Sanctuary

Hi,

Thanks Steve for the reply! Toxoplasmosis... erk. The stray cats have been hunting rats/mice and birds... I'm worried that they have it. If the whole soil's infected... Is there anything I can do to purge it? I'm asking, but I'll still try do some research on it.

Would the bellpeppers in the very least be good to pick and use since it's off the ground?? I need to find ways to keep them off... They've successfully trashed hanging pots and so on...

I wonder if once the bellpepper stalks? or whatever are fully grown...they'll be ok...

T____T Thanks for the head's up! I'm glad I posted to ask about it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I don't feel qualified to answer, The_Sanctuary.

I can only guess that the soil organisms will change rather completely, over time.

There is a complexity to life that we and our food plants fit within. Mostly, it's just when the environment is seriously changed and out of balance that problems show up.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can worry too much. The toxoplasmosis organism is very common. More than 60 million of us in this country carry it around and don't know it, because it causes no symptoms/ harm as long as you have a functioning immune system. (https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/). Pregnant women are warned not to deal with litter boxes, not because it would be common to contract disease that way, but because in the very rare cases that would happen, the consequences for the fetus could be severe. People with compromised immune systems like AIDS patients should exercise similar caution.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. Rake or sift out any obvious deposits, add enough compost, good enriched topsoil, or other organic matter to raise the level of your garden beds a bit and keep the cats away from the garden now. For me, just making sure there is no bare soil (by keeping a good layer of mulch on it) is enough to keep cats from using the garden. But in my yard, they have lots of other wilder spots to use, which they prefer. Without that, you might have to work a little harder.

Here's one recent discussion we had of keeping cats out of the garden and it has link to an earlier, more extensive discussion: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... ts#p347857

The_Sanctuary

Thank you again for your prompt and helpful replies!

I DO tend to worry a lot. But I've always been "better safe than sorry." I guess I will just have to take extra precaution.

There's this very thin tropical-looking tree that was growing out of the cement for years. It was cut just weeks ago by my grandmother. She soaked them in water in a basin; saying that they will grow roots and can be planted again once they do so. Perhaps I could instead shred them and use them as wood chip mulch?? -to keep away the cats.
https://nikirichan.tumblr.com/post/30545952787
Oddly enough, it's as if only now that the rest of the bellpepper seedlings are showing. Perhaps it really is the soil. Since I have tried growing them in soiless compost mixture before, and none ever sprouted.

Thanks again. I'll do my best to keep the cats out.

Much love,

Stef

Return to “Composting Forum”