JC's Garden

The cycle comes to an end and a new beginning will follow.

I started this beast fall of last year. It has been full more times than I can count. I have been feeding it since. Browns in the fall and winter with a little green thrown in. Greens in the spring and summer with some browns thrown in. I've taken some of it out, but not as much as the average person might think. When the balance is right, this stuff really breaks down.
photo 1.JPG
I just tossed this 5 days ago trying to bring the temp up. This is as good as it will get now.
photo 2.JPG
One more toss and it's time to start the new pile. It's a cycle that has been repeated for a number of years now. It always amazes me to see how much it takes to make so little. But then again, it's sooooo good!!! :D

applestar
Mod

Looks great! What are the dimensions?

imafan26
Mod

I thought turning it would bring the temp down on a pile. It is usually what I do if the pile is staying hot for too long. Granted, that has only happened once. Most of the time the pile does not even reach 140.

applestar
Mod

Turning also infuses air and helps to increase the microbial activity to "cook" when they have been slugginsh. Kind of like banked fire and blowing air on it to get the fire going.

JC's Garden

Size: That is a 4' wire fence. Just 6 weeks ago it was full and I had 3 leaf bags of browns waiting to go in.
On top of that I've been adding 10 to 15 gals of greens & fruit scraps each week.
It's been cooking like crazy but it's time to start next years pile.

rot
Greener Thumb

One way to faster compost is to monitor the temperature and as the temp drifts down after peak, you turn the pile for the oxygen and add moisture as required. Over time peak temperatures reduce and in the long run will go ambient but I typically use the stuff long before it goes ambient.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”