Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Great source of browns!

I recently was told about a GREAT resource for browns. A friend of mine works at the local newspaper. I was talking about the way my garden is setup and he told me that I should call the paper and ask if I can take away the remnant rolls.

The paper prints and then cuts from large rolls of newspaper. When the printing is done, they don't reload the rolls, they start from a fresh roll and just toss the remnant roll.
All unprinted, non-glossy, carbony goodness!

I currently put down brown packaging paper as a weed barrier every spring. The very first year I switched to raised rows, I collected newspapers and put them down. I think I'd really like to switch back to this.

I'm excited about this! I've read through most of the composting lists here, but I may have missed it. I hope this isn't a repeat!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Good grief, how much paper is on one of those remnant rolls? That could be a lot of paper!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure the amounts vary.... I have 7 40-45 foot raised rows that I cover with a double layer of brown packaging paper every year. I'd prefer to use newspaper, but the first year it was a HUGE pain in the butt. I figure a thousand foot roll would do me juuuuuuuuuuust right! And enough for my compost pile.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Just don't roll it downhill and let it get away from you, it'll be on the evening news when you paper the entire county. :-p

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Haha!

Return to “Composting Forum”