larry_phrank
Newly Registered

Pine Shavings affects on garden soil

I use Pine shavings in my chicken coop.
Is there any problems if I add the pine shavings to my vegetable soil ( after I clean the coop)?

I know the chicken manure could affect the garden if not composted or dried for a period of time, but my other concern is that the Pine shavings themselves could alter the soil in a way that may be harmful to the plants.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The main problem with any kind of wood or paper is that the C:N ratio is extremely high, which means it can deplete nitrogen if added directly to soil. When manure is mixed in, it counteracts it, but often there are more shavings than manure.

It would be best to compost this stuff for a few months. If it breaks down nicely, there was enough N from the manure for the amount of wood. If not, and you have to add more greens, there's your answer. If you have other stuff to compost, layer it into the pile whenever you have some. Observe and adjust the amounts.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Tractor supply sales two types of pine shavings ruff and fine. The shavings decay very slow and do little harm to the garden. I use them to airrate the soil which I think does more good than harm! I also like pine shavings between the rows to keep the mud down on rainy days! All types of wood shavings will deplete a little nitrogen so try to all a little with manure or even urea!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I like the compressed bales of shavings for path mulch too. They are a little bright colored for mulch around plantings, but sometimes I use them as a bottom layer and cover with something else for appearance. I get torn and wet bags at the farm supply for free so I find a way to use them. 8)

Return to “Composting Forum”