AnonymousGardener
Newly Registered

Horse Manure in Vegetable Garden.

Ok so I just went out and got some horse Manure for my vegetable garden ( Only the second time I have used it so bit of a newbie ) It wearnt until I spaded most of it onto my soil that I have dug over that I realized it smelt like I had my head up a horses butt! lol And there were what looked like whole carrots in there! So I'm guessing it is very fresh... Have I screwed up badly? I was kind of hoping to start seeding in the next few weeks :/

I have dug it all over well in the hope that might help and I will do so every few days. My soil is also full of big fat worms so I'm also hoping that will help... I have read that it can burn vegetables roots and that e coli is a risk is that true? I have googled it and it has come up with mixed answers :/

Please put my mind at rest lol

Thanks Guys!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, When we were filling the raised beds in the greenhouse wife put fresh horse, in the bottom and we filled the rest, 10", with soil and mulch. I was leery and saying " this may be too hot." but all worked out fine. The seeds sprouted and what we planted as plants also did well. It isn't as hot as Chicken droppings. Everything, especially a garden, doesn't have to smell like a city or a boudoir, It won't smell for long. Plant your seeds, when you're ready.

Richard

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

I agree... besides, if it's all dug in, there isn't much you can do! It'll probably work out fine, but in the meantime you should keep us posted - this could be a valuable experiment!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You want 90 days between application of manure and harvest. For root crops you want manure applied the year before planting.

As you have noticed horse plumbing is a pretty direct shot, unlike the chambered stomach of rabbits, goats, cows, Composting horse manure before application cuts down on volunteer weed seeds.

AnonymousGardener
Newly Registered

Still mixed views lol But I'm seeing a lot more people saying it aint much of a big deal... And that the whole root burning from horse manure is well over hyped. But I guess we will see :)

Thanks Guys I will let you know how it goes :)

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I use horse manure every year. I just make sure I get it from the bottom of the pile. Weed seeds can be an issue, so I either mulch very deeply and/or cover with newsprint.

brinboise

I also use horse manure every year-around here alot of folks have horses and have large amounts of it. I usually get it from a neighbor who piles it up, ages it and even loads it for me! Manure, straw and a little wood shaving have done my garden wonder for years....

Return to “Composting Forum”