meshmouse

Re: Can rocks frame a compost heap?

Hi rainbowgardener

Uhmm, I guess it is work, but it doesn't seem unpleasant to me. And the work seems little compared to constraining things in constructs. I mean, now you have to be sure your bin is tight to keep pests out. Also, isn't it more difficult to turn one bin up and over the center wall than to turn one pile on top of another? You know, no walls to get in the way. Or is the wall removable?

I guess I also like that I don't have to build, repair or replace anything as well.
Not that I would ever skin a cat, but I hear there is more than one way to do it. So hey, whatever works, it's all good stuff.

The only time I’ve ever experienced general odor issues is in the high heat of summer and then only after more than a week or so. I am more likely to do the deed once a week at those times. I keep an eye (actually, nose) on it and process accordingly. It doesn’t take long. A half hour or less.

You're right that it accelerates the process. I've definitely noticed an up tick in activity since I’ve been pureeing. No pests, quicker compost. No cost (ok, a little electricity), no maintenance. For me, it’s a win win.

When things are pureed, I don't really care what the critters care for as it is unavailable to them in a form they can bite into.

Regarding the onion/garlic/citrus thing – I keep reading all these references to anti-bacterial/microbial properties that are detrimental to a healthy biological pile. But I know nothing for certain. With that being considered and the odor issues, I choose to opt out for the time being (until I know more definitively one way or the other).

You are right tho, that adding a layer of leaves or whatever on top will reduce the odor but it is still quite pungent to me for a day or two. Not that I mind it, just that my neighbors might (who are very close by). I think the onions might smell more because they’re pureed. You know, more surface area, etc.

I guess I could trench compost them whole, covered with leaves, etc and see what happens. Corn husks as well. But when it comes to corn cobs, it’ll still be a big no for me. I can just see some dog digging up and eating a cob and suffering an intestinal blockage. They can ‘bloat’ and die within hours, or if you are lucky enough to get them to the emergency Vet in time (and it always seems to happen in the middle of the night – end of the BBQ scavenging I suppose), and many thousands of dollars later, the dog might live. It has happened to more than one dog I’ve known. And they don't all live. So for me, cobs are out.

So as not to close on a bummer thought, I want to thank you for your response. It was my first post here and yours was my first response. I’ve read a lot of your posts as I’ve lurked here over the past few months and I know your heart is sincere and your compost sweet. Thank you.

Return to “Composting Forum”