Flinter.50
Newly Registered

How close can a pallet bin be to a garage?

I'm new to the compost bin project and need some advice on how close to the garage might be too close.

The stud walls are built on top of the foundation as usual (the floor is poured within it and slightly lower) but we have had water come in in the past. While redoing the slab outside the side entry door, we found cracks through the foundation. Once those were fixed, dry floor :D . However, when the back downspout came off and water ran the wrong direction, it came in farther back. Sooo, obviously my garage is not liquid-proof.

To a certain extent I can have the bottom of the bin below the top of the foundation and sloped slightly down to the front but I'm limited by the surrounding garden bed. My other concern is the heat generated and some posts about spontaneous combustion.

The bin will be made of pallets, without a bottom, on the east side of the garage (not visible from any house window and no other spot available) and under 2' deep eaves. There is a downspout running diagonally along that side which will be behind the bin. Our prevailing weather comes from the SW-NW.

I do have some heavy-gauge plastic panels that can be cut and used as a barrier to run-off if anyone thinks that might be necessary. I don't know how much run-off/seepage there might be. This winter I'll have kitchen scraps, leaves, garden waste (mixed g/b), and browns from recycling, and also grass in summer.

Sooo, how far away from the garage should I build it and will the plastic be advisable?

Thanks for any advice!
Linda

Flinter.50
Newly Registered

The "invisibility" isn't a requirement, it's just that the location I have available for a bin just isn't visible from the house. I'd actually rather be able to keep an eye on it as the neighborhood has quite a bit of fauna (wild and "man's best friend") roaming around. I was just wondering how far away from a structure with a leaky bottom is advisable due to possible seepage.

I have a rambler on a corner lot facing north with no back yard (only two mower widths to the lot line) :( , 15' deep front yard with several trees and perennial flowers and sedum beds running along part of the front of the house and the veg garden on the west (other street) side. I considered putting the bin over there but there won't be any access during winter - way too much snow to slog through! :lol: I've actually used my snowshoes to walk on the snowdrifts that always form. :D That sure made raking the snow off the roof a lot easier! On the east line there is a power line so no permanent structures closer than 10'. The garage (at about 20' from the line) is attached to the east side of the house and the bulb flower garden and future site of the bin is east of the garage. I don't want to (and can't due to the down spout running along the wall) put the bin tight against the wall.

The neighbors all have mature oak and maple trees so the sun will hit the bin around 9/9:30 and lose it around noon. :( Water shouldn't be a problem as the hose is nearby.

My only concern is the seepage possibility and how far away from the garage would be recommended. What do bins usually do?

Thanks,
Linda

PS - I'll post some pics once I re-find that link on how to do it. :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your garage (sounds to me) is built on a slab.

I might be tempeted irregardless of where you put the compost bin, to dig a trench and fill that trench with gravel to facilitate drainage. I'd be more concerned with the garage sill rotting with damp.

FWIW a compost bin can be built on top of (said trench) and a foot or two away from your garage. A compost bin shouldn't discharge all that much (if any) excess water.

*Hiding* a compost bin has more to do with your, or your neighbors esthetic. HOA covanents notwithstanding.

Flinter.50
Newly Registered

Thanks, tomc, that's what I needed to know. Now off to regrade and trench! Fortunately I already have a couple of buckets of pearock left over from one of the other beds. :)

Linda

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I was thinking a foot or two away also. Enough so you can get behind it to shovel out any leaves, debris, compost etc. that collects there so it doesn't mound up against the wall.

Depending on your soil, a gravel drainage trench may or may not be helpful. In clay for example it may just fill with water from the surrounding clay in wet weather, and not be much help as far as draining the surface. I might just put the bin there and try it out first.

Compost doesn't really produce that much liquid itself, so if you don't overwater it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, IMHO it's not that important whether the bin is in the sun or shade. I put it near the bottom of the list as far as choosing a location.

wsommariva

Neighbors with a lot of trees huh? Good for you.

As far as a bin in sunlight, all three of mine are in the shade - no sun at all. And I have slow to decay oak leaves. And I get great compost in about a year even with a cold winter!

Since you have a hose nearby you can easily water when the sun dries it out.

Return to “Composting Forum”