Bloody Boots

Compost and Miracle grow...

Well, a couple of well meaning relatives gave us a few container plants they had made up just for us. Really nice, some good herbs and greens that are growing nicely. However, I know they swear by miracle grow soil and I wonder, after the plants have had their run and fall has come, is there any reason I can't toss the dead plants, miracle grow soil and all right into the compost?

vermontkingdom

No reason not to throw them in. At the conclusion of Christmas and Easter seasons I end up with a couple dozen plants from church. In the old days, after a couple of weeks in the church, the custodian would throw them into the garbage to be discarded. Now he gives them to me. The plants and soil, actually potting mix with time release fertilizer, go in with everything else. Their contribution actually comprises a small percentage of my total compost but the landfill is a lousy alternative.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Agreed, the compost pile is fine. I actually recycle my potting soil - after the growing season all the dead pots get sifted and stored in a bin over the winter. In spring I add fresh potting mix or some sifted compost. There is a risk of passing on diseases though, so it's not a good idea if you have blight or whatever.

Bloody Boots

Thank you!

Return to “Composting Forum”