Thomas CA

Composting old soil into new soil

Greetings All,

I'm new here on the boards and wanted to ask a question about composting.

I have raised bed gardens I grow vegetables in. After a season I move the spent soil out of the beds, and gradually put it in the composter, and re-fill my beds with fresh soil.

After 6 months of adding compost to the spent soil and turning it, could I re-use it in my beds without effect to the veggies?

I know the theory is that you don't want to plant the same type of vegetables in the same spot year after year, but I was hoping that by adding more compost nutients to the soil (off site), I would be able to re-use it without much problem. I'm limited with space and don't want to have to keep hunting for new soil.

Binkalette

I think if it were to get hot enough in the compost pile to kill off any diseases that might have afflicted your plants it would be perfectly fine. But then I think that would kill off all the good things too....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My understanding is that the reason for not planting certain species in the same spot year after year has more to do with soil-bourn diseases, than with nutrients. If you run your compost hot enough, I think any disease-causing organisms present in the soil you add to the working pile should be killed off. JMO. :)

Return to “Composting Forum”