Kelly_Guy

Cotton Gin Compost??

Does anyone have any experience with cotton gin compost? Any ideas on how rich it is or what would be best to mix with it?

I see the NPK numbers reported by some sources are 3/.5/1.5.

Thanks,

Kelly

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Maybe this thread will be of interest:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122032

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kelly_Guy

cynthia_h wrote:Maybe this thread will be of interest:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122032

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Thanks Cynthia. I did read that thread. Cotton gin trash that has been composted is very different from unmarketable rotting cotton. It is also not pure cotton seed meal, but a combination of cotton hulls, stalks, and cotton seed that has been composted together.

Kelly

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If it consists of the three ingredients you've mentioned--cotton boll hulls, plant stalks, and seeds--it sounds like it would be a compost "brown," meaning a carbon-rich ingredient. (Relative to a "green," or a nitrogen-rich ingredient.)

If I were presented with lots of this stuff, esp. for free :D, I would

1) say "thank you!" and
2) put it in my compost together with lots of greens (coffee grounds, kitchen wastes, and the like; I don't have a lawn, so no grass clippings for me).

Then, later, I would have some really nice, balanced compost for my raised beds where I grow my veggies and to add to the roses.

As to using it "as is," I'm not sure. I've never been able to garden with standard fertilizers and chemicals; I had to go organic before it was easy to do so (college, way back when) due to bad reactions to even small amounts of ordinary things.

Cynthia

Kelly_Guy

No, it isn't free. I called the place and the stuff they get has composted for 2+ years..very broken down the guy said.

I am putting in another raised bed this weekend for my pepper plants, and the cost of the CGC would be less than the cost of soil at a big box store which is what I have been doing. I am building an all raised bed garden this year at my new home.

I think I will pick up a load and inspect it and make a game time decision what to mix with it based on the look/fell/smell of the stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Kelly

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kelly_Guy wrote:No, it isn't free. ... I am building an all raised bed garden this year at my new home.

I think I will pick up a load and inspect it and make a game time decision what to mix with it based on the look/fell/smell of the stuff.
Since you're an experienced gardener from the sounds of it, that's probably the best way to go! "Big Box Big Bags" probably don't have as much plant nutrition in them as this aged cotton-plant waste will have *and* it costs less, too. :D

Let us know how it goes.

Have a great weekend; wishing you LOADS of success. :wink:

Cynthia

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Cotton seed meal is high in nitrogen, and the bolls and stems would be just like any other brown, so I think it would be good stuff, especially since it is already broken down and the C:N ratio has stabilized.

applestar
Mod

You're not concerned about possible herbicide/pesticide residue? I've always been unsure of cottonseed meal for the same reason....

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kelly's information is that the materials have been composted for 2+ years, so there has been some time for compounds to break down. That would reduce most "available to average gardener" chemicals, at least. I'm not familiar with "available to average commercial cotton grower" chemicals, though.

But 2+ years of composting, esp. if it ran hot even for a short period, should have taken care of things....

I'll just say: I find the 2+ years of composting persuasive and would use it myself if it were offered to me. I would mix it with my own compost and some worm castings, maybe some potting mix just 'cuz, and put it in the raised beds.

Cynthia

Kelly_Guy

applestar wrote:You're not concerned about possible herbicide/pesticide residue? I've always been unsure of cottonseed meal for the same reason....
If I can believe what I read about it on the web, it sounds safe. I have read on several sites that some time in the 90's, new USDA and EPA regulations passed require all chemicals used on cotton to be biodegradable in 4 weeks (I read that as it starts breaking down, or its half life is 4 weeks). In depth studies of raw cotton gin trash (prior to composting) have been done. Results of studies were that it was classified as a solid waste, but not a hazardous waste.

A study was done in CA on the affects of composting cotton gin trash on its residual chemicals, as well as its use as a soil amendment. The study showed chemical reductions at 3 intervals up to 51 days of total composting time.

Most commercial cotton gin compost has been composted for a year or more. Tests on commercial CGC show chemical levels below EPA safety levels, and in some cases below levels naturally occurring in the environment. I see that CGC products meet the requirements of the United Status Composting Council, but probably not the OMRI.

I guess ideally you want compost that came from organically grown cotton.

Kelly

Todd GFP
Newly Registered

The numbers I have seen are all put together for lb/ton

My experiece has been more like N(3%)P(.2%)K(.6%)

Return to “Composting Forum”