The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lending new meaning to the phrase "the green movement", Larry :lol:

Sorry to hear of your health condition, sir. I have lost good friends and it is one of the key reasons I struggle to bring folks to organics. People in my trade are more likely to get cancer; some in the "green trades" like golf course superintendents, are four times more likely to get cancers than the public average. While survival rates increase, the incidence of this disease does too, and that is a sad reality

I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery; your good humor and healthier habits will both stand you in good stead...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muddy45

interesting that you mention gulf courses scott.
I was a greens keeper for ten years and a grounds keeper for several years also.
and we did use a lot of chemicals ,and I use to complain about them poluteing the osage river below bagnel dam.
alot of are run off went in to the river and creeks.
their excuse was that farmers poluted a lot more then they did.

Larry

organically_me

rainbowgardener wrote:My Quaker Meeting (read church for all you non-Quakers) has a composting toilet, don't remember the brand. We may have used special mix to start it with when we got it years ago. For keeping it going we just use peat moss.
Thank you for this information rainbowgardener! We've been using a composting toilet (electric model) for the last six years. It took a bit of trial and error to get the proper mix of temperature, moisture and mulch but it works great for our small family. I'm going to try using peat. It will be much less expensive if it works. Less initial cost, and much less in shipping fees!
:D

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

One comment to add to the 'starter mulch' topic: I notice their 'approved' recipe has dry, high-carbon materials (peat moss, wood chips, etc.) that will serve to absorb moisture AND balance the CN ratio. It's not just about having the microbes, which, as someone mentioned, will already be there once you have been using it. This stuff will keep it physically/mechanically within its operating limits. No mulch, it may stink and not decompose right. Wrong mulch, it could jam up. Best not to ignore their recommendations on this. But, the home-made recipe will be cheap and that's the way I'd go.

muddy45: I am just north of you in the JC/Columbia area and am just now thinking about a bucket type toilet for my wooded property. Clay is so bad that any hole fills up with water that never drains out. No good for a traditional outhouse. Would love to hear more about your experiences.

Anaki
Newly Registered

I found this forum & signed up while looking for an answer to this question. (AND I'm trying to find where I can hear the song!) We have a Biolet NE we have been putting off starting up because it seems strange to do our business in the house after so long outside under a tent. The company's recipe calls for a lot of stuff I can't get. What I was wondering is if you can use say, coffee grounds, egg shells, stale bread, popped corn, whatever is not too wet or chunky that usually goes to the compost bin. Makes sense to add finished compost and good soil too. Pine shavings I can get, leaves are plentiful, I could shred some hay or grass. Anyone out there use this kind of mulch? Also wondering if we should avoid urinating in it, how wet should it get?
Getting down to business... :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, don't avoid peeing in your (composting) toilet, that's what it's for :) .

Ours at the Meeting House we had to add water to some times to keep it from being too dry, since we were adding peat moss or sawdust with each use. If you can see the T.P. if you look in it, it is too dry.

ldep
Newly Registered

hi Rainbowgardener,
I'd like to hear your song!

Return to “Composting Forum”