applestar
Mod

HUGELKULTUR

THAT'S the one! Sorry about the typo. :oops:
Here's a link to the thread we had in our Permaculture Forum: [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=823[/url]

2cents
Green Thumb

These last few posts and links have been sooooo.... helpful to putting a name and technique to what I've been doing so long.

People have told me I "sheet compost, double dig, trench compost, lasagna", and on and on and on. Can't remember everthing people tell me, what it is I do.

Actually, I've been doing all of them, not knowing what they were, or that they have names.
I just know they work from trial and error. My fear has been that I may have overdone it this year. The potential ERROR!!!

These links have helped provide a little comfort and confidence for the spring planting. I will be experimenting with trying to start bean seeds early spring and see how it goes.
I may have to add 1-2 inch trench of soil and start in that.
Or the idea of 1-2 inch trench lined with newspaper, soil in that and then start seeds.

From everthing you've said, the links say, and past experiences, I've at least have some ideas for a successful season in this new spot.

Can someone give me a quick explanation of double dig? Is it the same as trench composting and is that the same as Hugelkulture?
Sorry, but I can be a bit dense and like the confirmation.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ohio State University Extension article on double-digging, also has some illustrations:

https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/1000/1257.html

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

2cents
Green Thumb

CH,
Thanks for the website, it is now part of my favorites.
I've only recently gotten interested in the Internet or techie for gerdening.
This one will be a great resource.
Since buckeyes have a thick outer coat, we tend to be slow to start, but once the seed starts it grows strong.
The picture on this site really help........Appearantly I have been double digging just like my friend tell me. Part of the garden is composted that way right now, waiting for spring.

Thanks.

Return to “Composting Forum”