applestar
Mod

Knitting -- Just like riding a bicycle ...

I haven't seriously knitted in at least 8 years, I think? But on a whim, decided to knit hats for my DD's. Found a super easy pattern and got to work.

As soon as I started, I realized muscle memory was taking over. Even the motions for casting on was still in there, and I cast on without thinking much about it. It was kind of interesting that my muscle memory betrayed me back to the incorrect purl stitch I had originally learned by mistake, and I had to unlearn and re-learn the correct purl stitch all over again. :roll:

Inevitably, at one point, I made a mistake at the beginning of a previous row and had to unknit that row, but even that motion was pretty well ingrained :>

Managed to to finish the knitting portion of the first hat and am currently working on the 2nd :D

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Very nice! I never could get the hang of knitting. I was always dropping or messing up stitches. I admire the talent of people who can knit.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Now you've reminded me, Applestar. :D I want to go knit something now.

imafan26
Mod

I tried to learn to knit and crochet. I kept adding stitches. I used to do embroidery though, I can handle that. Very nice hat, I love the colors. You have so much energy. Today I got up early to bake pumpkin rolls for Christmas. I'm tired already and I still have to deliver them and go to work today.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I can vividly remember my grandma and one of my aunts who shared the same house when I was a kid that knitted and made doilies all the time. Their house was a showcase for doilies with them lying on just about every flat surface and backs of chairs where your head rested. That truly had to be the "House of a Million Knots" with all the stuff they made over the years.

They would make hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, and they even once made me club covers for my golf clubs, complete with the club number on it. The driver had a 1, two wood had a 2, etc.

They got one of my sisters interested in knitting and I got interested in something similar when I watched my uncles knit crawfish, crab and trawl nets to use when they went fishing.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I knitted scarves for my dad and brother for Christmas... but that's all I know how to do so far; I can only knit a rectangle. :P I just ordered a set of looms, though. A coworker who grew up knitting really likes them, so she sold me on them. She made herself a really cute hat with a hole in the back for her ponytail. I want to do one just like it.

Next year, dad and bro are getting hats, minus the ponytail hole. :)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”