pow wow

Re: About Birds

Taiji wrote:The other day I went out to my snow covered garden and a hawk flew out and I could see it had something in its claws. It landed some distance away and thru binoculars I could see it had a red headed woodpecker. The woodpecker was still alive; the hawk was just sitting there looking around. I didn't interfere knowing the hawk has to eat too. Next day saw 2 more woodpeckers come to the bird feeder one at a time, then fly back up into a tree, over and over again.
I have visited the Bow River Valley in Alberta quite a few times and usually see bald eagles near the river. They sit in the trees then once in awhile swoop down to the river's surface. Fishing? :)
I am told that the Bow is a migratory path for Eagles but that was the first time I actually saw a golden and bald. I was probably too into the biking and not paying attention.
Sounds like you enjoy the area up here, that's great, I was born in Banff and have always called the Bow Valley home.
I have a Merlin Hawk that comes to my back yard a couple times a year. I've never seen it actually catch a bird though.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Born in Banff? That's amazing! What a beautiful place.

Whenever we go we like to go to Hudson's Bay Co. of course, and try to find an affordable bargain of some kind for a souvenir. It takes some effort! The second to last time we were there, the main street of town was under construction and all torn up. We still managed to bushwack our way across the street to Bruno's Bar and Grill however! Last time we went, everything was all back to normal and looked beautiful.

You might recognize this as the building at the Banff Hot Springs. In keeping with the bird thread, these ravens were perched on the roof, and just kept talking to each other endlessly; it was so comical. They probably meet there everyday for the community chat, and will probably still be meeting there long after I'm gone. I think they were people watching actually and laughing their heads off.
banff hotsprings.JPG
banff ravens.JPG

pow wow

Taiji wrote:Born in Banff? That's amazing! What a beautiful place.

Whenever we go we like to go to Hudson's Bay Co. of course, and try to find an affordable bargain of some kind for a souvenir. It takes some effort! The second to last time we were there, the main street of town was under construction and all torn up. We still managed to bushwack our way across the street to Bruno's Bar and Grill however! Last time we went, everything was all back to normal and looked beautiful.

You might recognize this as the building at the Banff Hot Springs. In keeping with the bird thread, these ravens were perched on the roof, and just kept talking to each other endlessly; it was so comical. They probably meet there everyday for the community chat, and will probably still be meeting there long after I'm gone. I think they were people watching actually and laughing their heads off.
banff hotsprings.JPG
banff ravens.JPG
You're right, it's hard to find a reasonable price on anything in Banff.

Me at the Banff Springs and a birds eye view later on.

pow wow

I was out feeding birds at 9am this morning. This woodpecker is new. He just clung to a trunk right beside me for half an hour until I turned around so I couldn't see him. Few minutes later he was on my hand and he was fine with me after that. On my way home I found another tribe of chickadees that took some time to get to hand feeding. So I have four feeding sited now. YIKES!

pow wow

It snowed overnight and it got pretty busy at one of my feeding stations this morning.

I always worry when a little chickadee hops around on my bike. Last week one pooped on my camera case. lol
But they've hopped around on my head and no deposits yet, for that I thank them.

applestar
Mod

I love seeing your photos -- so much fun! :D

applestar
Mod

This is not a very good photo, but I wanted to show that the birds are starting to nest in my birdhouses :D

This bluebird house -- which I gave up on attracting bluebirds because they just are not in this area or my garden doesn't have the right kind of environment -- was moved from an open area by the fence to a sheltered corner protected by the house and the garage walls, right outside one of the Family Room windows. It was claimed by house wrens one year, and chickadees in another year, but most recently has always been occupied early by the Carolina wrens.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”