tomf
Super Green Thumb

Big news!

In two weeks I will be retired and not have to work any more. Well not at Boeing at least. O:) :() :-() :cool: :wink: :) :D 8)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

congrats!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!! I retired June last year and I love it. My only problem is saying yes to too many things ("I'm retired, I have plenty of time) and over-committing myself. Remember to keep time for yourself to enjoy being retired! :D

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good news indeed. Retired since March 2013 and never been busier! Love it

webmaster
Site Admin

Congratulations! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Tom, it is Big News and a Big Accomplishment! Congratulations :)!

If you are retiring in good health, physically and mentally ;), let me offer a word of advice ... I'm retired and active but this idea is from watching Dad. Dad is 98 so it was some time ago that he retired ;).

He said, "I'm going to travel, go camping, fishing, hunting, and take a nap every day!" After, a few months of retirement I told him, "Dad, you're always angry." "I am not!" "Yes, you are."

I think I was always showing up at his house just as he was waking from that afternoon nap. Yeah, that was all he had accomplished of his plans! The naps.

By the next year, he was back at work. But, it was a different job, part-time, and fun! I'm sure it didn't pay very well. He stayed with it for about 18 months. By then, he had given some more thought to being retired and what he would be doing ;).

Here's my advice, be patient with yourself. It's a big change and you will need some time to adjust to it and make choices on what you will be doing, how you will maintain your health and relationships.

Best Wishes!
Steve

applestar
Mod

Sounds like you will be spending a lot more time playing with your toys! :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Good advice, I have so many intrests plus working on the house and yard, and the constrution projects I have planned that staying busy will never be a problem. I think rainbow knows, make time for me. My wife is looking forward to it, we are best friends and we spend as much time as we can together now. Yup Apple more time to play with my toys, I plan to write and record a number of songs.

imafan26
Mod

Congratulations. I agree retirement can keep you very busy. Most people think since you are retired you have a lot of free time, but that isn't so. Often, you end up with just a different job. I know a lot of "retired" folks who are babysitting the grandkids and taking them to and from school, volunteering, and working on "projects".

Guess, what, though. People who remain active throughout their lives, are healthier and their minds stay sharper longer.

You will discover some of the senior discounts. Senior coffee at McDonalds, Senior discounts at markets (here it is on Tuesdays),senior movie tickets, discounted buspasses, and the option to sleep in late.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

There are not enough smileys for that kind of news.
A row of smileys to infinity would be most appropriate.
More time for gardening.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

A year after my grandpa retired he said he couldn't understand how he ever had time to work. My advice would be to not let your projects consume all your time.

Congratulations! I know you'll enjoy your free time.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

LIcenter

Excellent! Live long, and enjoy what the rest of your non-working life brings to ya.

applestar
Mod

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Stay busy and have FUN every day.

imafan26
Mod

Congratulations. Now, its time to plan for a vacation. BTW usually after 'retirement' you have to develop a new routine. While your wife is probably your best friend, it is a good time to go out and make new friends. Changing your routines also changes hers and it will take some time for both of you to get used to that.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

yes good advice; we are used to it as we spend a lot of time together, I worked nights and she did not work. I did that as we are ski bums and it gives me time to do things around the place. We do have a number of friends and we will have jam sessions here and will join a ski club.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”