applestar
Mod

Photo rendering apps -- show and tell

I'm not savvy with Photoshop etc but have discovered apps on the iPad that renders photos into watercolor and other art media like images. I've posted some of them before (I'll go grab those later)

Two apps I've been playing with are Waterlogue and Brushstroke, but I'm sure there are other iOS as well as Android apps as well as number of software for the OSX and Win OS computers.

If you have been tinkering with them, I would love to see what you've done and what they can do. So share away!
:-()

If you haven't, try them. I think it's a lot of fun! :D

applestar
Mod

Here are two I tried this morning:

Since this photo was pretty grainy to begin with due to having to use digital zoom, but I wanted to preserve details that are lost when rendered in watercolor filter, I tried putting it through Brushstroke app and chose S5 on paper/paper for rendering :)

...and Brushstroke again, this one is G2 on paper/paper

(...should I show the original photos, too?)

applestar
Mod

Here are ones rendered with Waterlogue

C78C682E-ACCC-4258-B5C2-77D53FC056CC.JPG
C5C0EEEB-30B0-4E68-B319-737BE958B8D5.JPG
114530F4-ECA6-4327-A9BA-B035D3135B2C.JPG

I think I was comparing Waterlogue on top and a Brushstroke (one of the Oil rendering I think?) on bottom with this photo of cherry tomatoes...
FAC1D07E-1F58-407D-B337-07556F9E6BDF.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The kittens didn't do great as watercolor; so much detail is lost that it ends up looking like one two-headed kitten. Otherwise these are lovely! I do like the Brushstroke ones, because it preserves more.

webmaster
Site Admin

That's really cool. I'm going to pass it along to my daughter. She's on an iPod and has been playing around with an Adobe app. I'll let you know what it is when she gets back from school.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have photoscape on my computer. It is a photo editor, that I usually use just for adding text to photos.

But it does have a number of filters, some of which they call "pictorialization." It has choices of pen, pencil, pastel, water color, oil painting, and others. But they are clearly not as good as your apps, don't really give a very good approximation of an oil painting or whatever. Some of them just look like distortions. The best I could get was this, oil painting filter on a photo of trillium:
trillium2  oil painting.JPG

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I love Photoshop the pro version of it, you can do endless things with it. It does take a lot of time and work to master it although. I use Adobe Light Room to import and adjust batches of photos, it does not take as much to learn to use it. I always shoot in raw as you can adjust so much. I also use Adobe video suit and am still working on mastering After Effects, it is like photo shop for video. I also have and use a few 3D programs. Some of my work uses multiple programs to complete. I also use my music studio and it's software and hardware to add sounds to some of my videos. Computers have made it so fun, in the old days I had to do so much less in a darkroom to create composites, and video was impossible.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fun! Love the dragons! Is the girl in the plaid skirt in the holo deck from Star Trek?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

She could be, here is another photo of her.

Some Photoshop filters.

I drew the steam punk robot in a 3D program Carrara Pro and took photos of objects then converted them into Phootshop brushes to draw the background.

Combined 3D and photos.

Graphics in Photoshop, the background is a photo and the name was created in Photoshop..

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Spooky

Done in 3D and finished in Photoshop.

Photos turned into Photoshop brushes and painted on a background, a bit terminator like. The guys face is an artist himself, he loved this.

applestar
Mod

What fun! It's amazing the things you can do when you know what you are doing 8)

Thanks for showing use these, tomf :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am learning special effects for making movies, this is a morph into a monster that I made.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did the space ship and the alien in 3D and animated them there, I then imported the background photo and the spaceship and alien into Adobe After Effects to composite them. Then I rendered the video in Adobe Premire and added the sound effects in a music program called Digital Performer, the one I use to run my music studio. I know I am being a nerd but I love it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtFUcE ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtuDOTbe]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtFUcE ... e=youtu.be[/youtuDOTbe]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtFUcE ... e=youtu.be

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know why it did not come across, but I put a link with it. It is an alien visit.

applestar
Mod

tomf wrote:I did the space ship and the alien in 3D and animated them there, I then imported the background photo and the spaceship and alien into Adobe After Effects to composite them. Then I rendered the video in Adobe Premire and added the sound effects in a music program called Digital Performer, the one I use to run my music studio. I know I am being a nerd but I love it.

[youtuDOTbe]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtFUcE ... e=youtu.be[/youtuDOTbe]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtFUcE ... e=youtu.be
...here we go -- deleted "&feature=youtu.be" from the first link with the youtube code. :wink:

applestar
Mod

These are all so cool! I know I'm going to play with stuff like these more in winter when I have more time. 8)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for doint that.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:These are all so cool! I know I'm going to play with stuff like these more in winter when I have more time. 8)
You can get Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Light Room for less than $10 a month. And there are lots of videos that will teach yuou how to use them and some cool things you can do with them.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am sort of thinking about this set of Photoshop filters, they may be fun.

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the tips!

Yah that filterforge? I could see you going wild(er) :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is a qyick and dirty one I did for the floods.

This was done with a Photoshop plugin called Eye Candy, You select the layer you want to affect and adjust it to get what you want, so easy.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Opps I meant to post a different photo not 2 of the same.
Here are some with a combination of things done to them to show what can be done with writing.

My wife

tomf
Super Green Thumb

For you flower lovers. Some models we hired.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I just did this one using layer cut outs and a bunch of other tricks.

applestar
Mod

Really nice! You can really do some cool effects 8)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Really nice! You can really do some cool effects 8)
Thanks it is a lot of fun.

I did this one today.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I also did this one today, it is so nice being retired. It is a rainyso no yard work day and I spent it laying guitar and doing art. This one was done in 3D and Photoshop.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”