Susan W
Greener Thumb

This week's fun

I did some natural yarn dyeing also weaving this week at day camp.
Attachments
IMG_20160722_142117_134.jpg

applestar
Mod

Beautiful! Could you tell us which one was dyed with what? 8)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Oh yeah! I'd like to know that too! :-()

KeyWee

LOVE the colors!

webmaster
Site Admin

This is something I want to learn to do!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Colors didn't show well in the pic, but will go through the dyes used. All wool yarn, mordanted with alum.

Pinks/rose -brazilwood
purples, near black -logwood

Both brazilwood and logwood from Central America and the Islands. Used by the Natives and imported to Europe/Colonies early on. Logwood the base for black, became ultra important as ingredient for black for the hats. Side note on the felt hats, the beaver felt the best, and follow that to beaver pelts from pre-colonies, 1600 on.

Brown from walnut hulls

Yellow, gold, orange, green. Oh My! all picked! I got yellows from calendula and daisy fleabane blooms. An awesome deep yellow/gold we got from one of the staff's marigolds. (she was thrilled, perhaps more than me!) Going orange from the wild coreopsis in a vacant lot. Green is adding iron to the basic yellow.

Magenta is cochineal. The bugs on a cactus in Mexico. Cactus are grown, the bug 'cultivated' for the dye. One of the dyes given to Columbus back when. Stayed in Spain's control for a long time. With certain mordants does an awesome red.

Madder root -red/brown. I didn't get a good one, but had some from my stash. Very basic common red in 18th c.

I haven't done much in quantity dyeing lately, and when getting ready for and doing this missing it! I should be at Ft Toulouse in November -Wetumpka AL, near Montgomery with the dog and pony show. Immerse yourself in history, much is daily life.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”