Susan W
Greener Thumb

BUGS!

Bugs! Not in the garden, but on this site! It can't be just me.....It comes and goes, but often can't even read through a whole thread on tomatoes or flowers, and it freezes. When everything freezes, can't even access e-mail or other things. After time, or trying different things, the pop-up shows on 'script' . 'de-bug script' only thing that responds. This often renders 'puter useless for awhile. Then problem still not rectified.

I am a total brown thumb with the 'puter, but do know something is wrong. I know better than to follow a click bait to something dumb, but shouldn't happen with THG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't had that much trouble, but even since the re-boot when it was gone for more than 24 hrs, it's been slow, sometimes a page freezes up and I have to leave it and come back and occasionally I get some kind of dialogue box saying it wants to know your location (Allow or Block?, I say Block and it continues OK).

webmaster
Site Admin

Are you using toolbar add-ons, like ad blockers? Are you using plugins like ghostery? Do you have Norton or another antivirus set to high privacy?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Since the forum came back, I have one tablet where I'm signed-out and cannot sign back in.

It claims that I'm using the wrong user name.

I have automatic log-on and the PC, phone and another tablet brings me right into play :). Having to log back on now & then wasn't a surprise but not being able to log-on as digitS' was a surprise! I kind of expect that I will have to log-on now and then but if this happens to each device - I'm in trouble!

Password was tried. Re-typing the user name was tried ... I'm at a loss as to how to get that tablet back on the forum!

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have had this site ask me to log in again every dozen or so times - no big deal. But I have had my PC freeze up if I leave photobucket.com on, while posting an image on here. I have to copy img, click photobucket off, then post. And this is only recently this has happened.

Allyn
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Are you using toolbar add-ons, like ad blockers? Are you using plugins like ghostery? Do you have Norton or another antivirus set to high privacy?
No, no, and no.

It's been especially persnickety lately. Sometimes it takes a long time to get my cursor to move again. I blame the ads. It's noticeable on this site, but another forum I belong to has a lot of ads and I really have a lot of hang-ups trying to read the threads, more so when the ads are animated or they're videos. Whatever the script is that loads for the ads can, and frequently does, paralyze the browser.

Edited to add:
After I posted this, my browser froze, I got the message that helpfulgardener.com had stopped responding due to a long running script. I clicked "Stop Script" but still had to wait for a few moments before it unfroze.

webmaster
Site Admin

Those having trouble with the site, what browser are you using and what version number is it? (You can usually find the version number by clicking the HELP button on the browser.

Thanks.

R

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update. Hope some probs have gone the way of, well, big green tomato worms.
DS over here, and I showed him situation. He did a clean of 'puter (malware stuff). With that my tool bars are gone. Need to figure some stuff out, again. We were talking about my plant start business, and he thought I needed to be on Facebook. Short and long, well intentioned, signed me into FB. Given that, have something else to figure out and worry with. Sigh.

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm about to make changes, could be something small on my side that's contributing to the issue. Will let you know once I've fixed it. Should be in a few minutes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have two Kindle tablets.

So, Silk browser.

One, I cannot sign in :( . The other, is still automatically logged on :) . PC uses Firefox, usually. No problems automatically logging on there :).

Steve

webmaster
Site Admin

I changed a few things. How is it now?

khoomeizhi
Newly Registered

this is the poster ordinarily known as !potatoes!

I'm getting the same 'you're not using a real username' message as steve is. been unable to log in for days, and not having received a response from admin from an email I sent, this morning I gave up and grabbed a new (hopefully temporary?) name. then I saw this thread.

whatever changes happened this morning hasn't fixed it, as far as I can see.

webmaster
Site Admin

I just sent you a Private Message.

webmaster
Site Admin

This is priority one. Working on it right now.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is working for me,so far.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:I changed a few things. How is it now?
I still cannot log-in with that tablet.

Good that I have the alternatives ... just wondering about attrition.

;) Steve

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:
webmaster wrote:I changed a few things. How is it now?
I still cannot log-in with that tablet.

Good that I have the alternatives ... just wondering about attrition.

;) Steve
Funny because same thing is happening on my tablet. Can't log in, it says that something is up with my password. Logging in from the computer and phone is fine...it's just the tablet.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Just wondering if this is related to the problems I'm having with the work computers?

webmaster
Site Admin

Ok, give it a try now. We changed a few things. The issue with !potatoes! has not been fixed but we're still working on it.

Thanks.

R

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am on my iPad now no issues for me.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:Ok, give it a try now. We changed a few things. The issue with !potatoes! has not been fixed but we're still working on it.

Thanks.

R
Works now! :D

Allyn
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Those having trouble with the site, what browser are you using and what version number is it? (You can usually find the version number by clicking the HELP button on the browser.

Thanks.

R
I know you've been working on stuff before I saw this, but I'll respond anyway.

IE 11, version 11.420.10586.0

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow!

:shock: The 10" tablet just showed a "must log in" page :? !

Typed with my digitS' - d I g I t S '. Filled in password ¿<>~£© !

Bingo! I was in! ... now, I will need to go home and find out if I can log-in with the 7" tablet!

:D Steve

applestar
Mod

Are you telling us your password? :> I can't remember which show it was that said x % of people use the same password for everything (no I don't remember the number but it was a lot)

webmaster
Site Admin

There were several issues, some were from fiddling around that I did and some were artifacts of some updates that needed to be applied. I believe all of the problems have been solved. Please let me know if that's not the case! :)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

triumphant return! it works! many thanks.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Are you telling us your password? :> ...
No. Altho, the one for the HG forum hasn't changed in a very long time and is a simple one. Every 6 months or so, I nervously change the ones for the "financial institutions" to different and complex combinations of numbers, letters and, if allowed, capital letters and symbols. Usually, there is a "word" behind the choice but I mess up the letter sequence so badly, there is no way for me to remember it without writing it down in my Boy Scout Handbook notepages.

;) I'm here this morning on the 7" tablet ~ easy log-in :).

Thank You, Webmaster :clap:

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not having much trouble since the changes, but I did just again get this error message:
Encrypted network traffic
Untrusted certificate

An application on this computer (Google Chrome) is trying to communicate over a channel encrypted
with an untrusted certificate

It cannot be guaranteed that the contacted server (bcp.crwdcntrl.net) is the one it appears to be.
This could be an attempt to deceive you or intercept your communication

Discovered two weeks ago

Block this communication? Block / Allow[
I always click block and then it goes away and using the site continues as normal.

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi rainbowgardener,
I think that's a cookie in your browser that follows you from site to site. Here are instructions for the Chrome browser for blocking only third party cookies (but not first party cookies). See if that works without affecting your sign-ins on this and other sites.

Chrome allows you to manage your cookies. Not sure if this is possible with chrome but if it is then you'll have to indicate in Chrome that you wish to specifically block bcp.crwdcntrl.net (and/or crwdcntrl.net).

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”