OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Lets Talk Books?!:D

The other day I went to the library looking for a good read, and I seriously had the hardest time finding anything appealing. I ended up leaving with two books that had crochet patterns in them, but I am still looking for a really good book that when you start you never want to put down.
So, lets talk books?
Tell me what genre of books you like and please list some recommendations? :mrgreen:
I'll go first, I am a big fan of Fantasy books I know this pick is might be a little cliche because they made a movie about it, but it's still a favorite of mine!
Caroline by Neil Gaiman, the book is way more creepy than the movie, but it's such a good quick read if you enjoy books that are a little scary and weird, but yeah cute in its own little unique way.
For anyone that hasn't seen the movie, it's about a little girl and her family that move into a mysterious new house/apartment with some very odd neighbors that live above and below her. She is unhappy about her the move, but discovers a mysterious door that takes her to another world where everything is better, but soon finds herself in a sticky web fighting for her life.
I am looking forward to reading about some of your favorite books and why. :D

CJay

I generally like non-fiction books. But a few years ago happened upon a book titled Wizards first rule by Terry Goodkind. I normally don't like fantasy. But I was instantly hooked. I ended up reading his entire series over the course of a year.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I enjoy any book related to homesteading...it inspires me to try better on my own homestead. My children are reading a book called "Paint" which is about a horse and Canada and farms. I read a couple chapters of it too and it's pretty nice.

imafan26
Mod

I don't read many modern books. I like classics
The Light in the Forest
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
Shogun
The White Dragon by Anne MacCaffrey
All of Alistair McClean's novels
The Essential Gardener by Derek Fell
Ivanhoe
My Cousin Rachel

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you like fantasy, try the books of Ursula LeGuin. A distinguished fantasy novelist who does an amazing job of creating worlds and peoples and cultures that are so full of life you would think she was reporting on them instead of making them up. Her books include: Always Coming Home (complete with a CD of folk music of the culture she created), Left Hand of Darkness, the EarthSea trilogy, The Eye of the Heron, The Dispossessed, Compass Rose (short stories), and others.

Enjoy!! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS, you inspired me to revive an earlier thread we had about what are people reading, here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 33&t=55654

OrganicElf
Newly Registered

Loving all the reply's and recommendation guys!:D

@Raindbowgardener, Thank so much for that link, going to have fun going through it.:)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

A book I first read in junior high remains one of my favorites to this day. Microbe Hunters, by Paul de Kruif. For me, it's adventurous, humorous, enthralling; keeps me on the edge of my seat, but that's just me! If you like science, especially peering through microscopes, I think you'll like this one.

I still have my original childhood paperback copy, but acquired a hardback edition from ebay a few years ago dated 1926.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Just started a book called "The Blessings of the Animals". It is such a great book about marriage and animals. Such an amazing book for animals lovers.
It is basically about a divorced vet that bonds with a rescued horse. Really nice read ♡

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”