tomf
Super Green Thumb

Re: Big project we are doing!!!

I may be about done dropping trees, all I have left might be some small ones.

Using cables and a bully to bring down a hanging tree, I pull the cable with the tractor.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

One Thanksgiving the family got together in the country at my now late father-in-law's house for a 4 day weekend of feasting. While there, three of my brother-in-laws decided it would be a good time to drop a tree that was next to one of the houses that one of them used when visiting.

I was in the kitchen of my father-in-law's house cooking a big pot of gumbo and all of a sudden the whole house shook and I heard one of my sister-in-laws scream "Oh my God, the cars". So I run outside to see this huge gum tree laying across the roof of the house next door and the branches dangling precariously close to 3 cars parked in front of the house.

Needless to say, they were from then on dubbed "The Three Stooges" of lumberjacking. It took them the better part of a day to clear that tree off the roof and repair the damage to the structure.

There is an art to felling trees, especially when close to a structure and not one of the three were exactly Picasso in that respect. We've gotten a lot of miles out of that fiasco in humor.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Funny story, it is an art, and a compromise between where the tree wants to go and where you want it to go.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am done cutting trees down for now, I have hundreds of them to deal with now, I have a big clean up job ahead of me.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

A guy at work wanted some advice about cutting down a tree. He told me he had a big tree he wanted to cut down that is 3 feet away from his house, he lives in the city. A big branch is hanging over his roof and he said he was going to put a rope on it and tie the rope to his car and cut the branch part way then pull it off with his car. Then cut the tree down in the spot between his house and the one next to him. I can see it now, one or more houses damaged, a totaled out car, and a trip to the ER or worse. I told him to hire a professional.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

To go along with the story above here is a guy who did it right, or got lucky anyways.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have been doing some more clean up of brush and logs, it has rained so much that I can't get the tractor in most places with out making a muddy mess.
Some of the logs and stumps are so big that the biggest saw I had was too small so I went and got an even bigger saw it will run a 32" bar but I got a 28" bar on a Sthil 461R as that may be all I need. I have a 25" bar from another Sthil a 310, the 310 will cut with the 25" but it is under powered in my opinion, it is a chip tossing monster with a 20" bar although. I also have a 210 16" and a 250 18" Sthil. I have some non Sthil saws but they are wimpy in my opinion, I have to much to do to use any tool that does not get the job done fast.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I tried to use a brush rake that clamped onto the front end loader bucket but it is not strong enough to do the job and bends. Now I am looking at getting a Grapple for the FEL. It replaces the bucket and I still can change back to the bucket when needed. This is the one I am thinking about. It will be well worth the expense I think as it is the tool I need to do the job.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

So I went to the dealer to order it and he said that they do not make them to fit my FEL without having a quick change skid stear system in it. So this is going to add to the cost as I have to also get a new bucket that uses the quick change system. Oh well looks like I will need to put in a little more over time at work. The good part is it will be easy to change out from a bucket to a grapple.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is the grapple and here is some log piles as they are so far, I will have many more and some will be bigger than the big one. this grapple is the tool I needed to save my back and get the job done.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am making progress on the clean up, I did this field this week and stacked a bunch of the logs to make a back drop for our target range.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”