applestar
Mod

Re: recycle trash

Here, the township does the trash collection and county handles the recycling, and at least our neighborhood of the township are on different days of the week, so for us it's not likely to be confusing.... Though sometimes it's not easy to keep track of the weekly trash vs. bi-weekly (every other week) recycle collection when holidays cause a day-shift or week-shift.

We were one of the test areas for wheeled bins and automated truck collection for both trash and recyclables so we had that convenience earlier than others. Initially, only papers went in the wheeled bin and the glass/plastic went in regular trash can which needed manned trucks for pick up. But the County changed something in the processing so we no longer have to separate glass, plastic, and paper -- all go into the giant wheeled bin, gets picked up by the arm of the automated/1-driver truck and dumped in together into the maw of the beast.

My kids loved watching the truck pick up and EAT the trash when they were little -- we would run from window to window to follow its progress, I would pick them up onto chairs and window benches so they could see, and then we would supply the sound effects -- "MMMM!! (Grab) --open wide --- (AAAAHHHHH) -- glug, glug, glug, nom, nom, nom ...oooh some extra-treats in here today.... YUMMY! BURP! " --- "NEXT!!!" :lol: :mrgreen:

...it was one of the milestones of their growing up when they stopped wanting to watch the trash truck... :>

At home, we've composted forever -- I've seen them hesitate/struggle to throw out compostable kitchen waste and paper napkins in regular trash when no other options were available. :D

imafan26
Mod

Recycling is good and it saves space in the landfill. However, I did not like that they took one of the trash days for recycling. Even though I don't have a lot of trash, I don't like it hanging around long either. I have to freeze the food waste that does not go down the disposal or the trash can smells and draws vermin when it is only collected weekly. This would be less of a problem in a cold climate but in a warm climate, food left in the can for more than a few days reeks.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've never seen recycle bins at either store (Lowes and Home Depot), and I was at Home Depot today. According to an internet search they take only rechargeable batteries, not household alkaline batteries. I don't use rechargeables because they don't work as well in flashlights or my TENS unit.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”