A_Bal115
Newly Registered

Can anybody help me identify these two weeds?

unnamed.jpg
1.jpg
Just reseeded our yard last week using Pennington tall fescue, and these weeds have come up in many places where the grass has also germinated. They're growing about as fast as the grass and are easily visible, but I never saw them before in the yard before killing off the lawn and reseeding. Does anyone know what kind of weeds these are and if I can get rid of them using weed killer without hurting the grass? They look similar to clover but not quite dark enough, plus there's never been clover in the yard before. There appears to be two different kinds, as you can see a difference in leaf shape in some of them. And are they able to cause the grass problems if they keep on growing? Any response is appreciated!

You may have to zoom in on the picture to see what I'm talking about.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The ones with the pair of little roundish /oval leaves, those are just the cotyledons (seed leaves). Lots of things have seed leaves that look very much like that. If you wait a few more days to a week, the true leaves should have opened up and they will be much more identifiable.

But it looks like you have way more weeds than grass coming up. If you want a lawn that is mostly grass, you will have to do something about that. All those weeds are definitely capable of crowding out your grass.

Personally, I'd think about starting over. Rent a rototiller and till all that under. Water and wait a couple weeks for the next crop of weed seed to sprout, then till it again. Then immediately re-seed with your fescue.

A_Bal115
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:The ones with the pair of little roundish /oval leaves, those are just the cotyledons (seed leaves). Lots of things have seed leaves that look very much like that. If you wait a few more days to a week, the true leaves should have opened up and they will be much more identifiable.

But it looks like you have way more weeds than grass coming up. If you want a lawn that is mostly grass, you will have to do something about that. All those weeds are definitely capable of crowding out your grass.

Personally, I'd think about starting over. Rent a rototiller and till all that under. Water and wait a couple weeks for the next crop of weed seed to sprout, then till it again. Then immediately re-seed with your fescue.
I don't think it would be worth starting over, since most of the yard is much thicker in grass than weeds. In some areas, I can't see any weeds. The pictures given are not really representative of the entire yard since I tried to search for places with less grass to make the weeds easily visible. I did water to try to get more weeds to come up before sowing the grass, but obviously not thoroughly enough. Isn't there weed killer available that would kill the weeds without damaging the grass? I know I may have to wait for the grass to mature before applying if so.

Return to “Lawn Care”