hypj
Newly Registered

Detectives Needed: Grub Worms?

Hi everyone, hoping for some amateur (or professional) lawn detectives! In front of our house a patch of lawn has dried and cracked, leaving patches of exposed dirt. This happened over the course of one year. I pulled up a patch of grass and found a worm underneath.

1.) Is this a grub worm infestation?
2.) If so, what and when should I apply to kill the infestation?
3.) Recommendations on how to grow back the lawn?

Random additional info: I live in Fort Worth, TX. Dirt in this part of state is mostly clay.
Attachments
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
Grub Worm?
Grub Worm?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably is. That is a japanese beetle grub or one of its relatives.

But to kill your lawn like that, there would have to be a lot of them:

Dig around and see if you see more.

Now is the time to treat your lawn for them, while the grubs are in the ground but still close to the surface.

Natural Grub Treatment

For those choosing a more natural grub treatment as how to get rid of lawn worms, there are several options available. All of which are considered safe and effective. These include milky spore, neem oil, and nematodes – available at most garden centers. Milky spore is a disease that can effectively treat lawn grubs and is environmentally safe. Spores are applied to affected lawn areas, infecting lawn grubs as they feed. Once the grubs die and decompose, additional spores are released into the soil, which helps prevent further infestations. Neem oil is a botanical pesticide containing insecticidal properties. Neem oil works more as a repellant against Japanese beetles and lawn grubs – inhibiting egg laying, growth and feeding. Neem oil is mixed with water (as directed) and sprayed onto affected lawn areas. Beneficial nematodes are also used as natural grub treatment. These tiny, soil-dwelling worms release bacteria into the soil that infects and kills lawn grubs. Nematodes are available in liquid form or mixed with water and sprayed onto affected areas.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Lawn Grubs – How To Get Rid Of Grub Worms https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-p ... -worms.htm

Return to “Lawn Care”