Hondo
Newly Registered

HELPPP! Help me ID and DEFEAT these lawn weeds!

This is the grass.  I'm guessing it's some sort of Rye grass, but I'm not sure.  How to get rid of it....
This is the grass. I'm guessing it's some sort of Rye grass, but I'm not sure. How to get rid of it....
weed2s.jpg
weed3s.jpg
weed4s.jpg
weed5s.jpg
GAD! These two are driving me crazy. One appears to be a plant, and one is a grass. The plant takes over large patches of my front yard, forming thick mats of stemmy foliage, even growing through and killing of my zoysia lawn. It appears to have runners, but I can't be sure. Meanwhile, the other completely takes over large areas of my back yard, killing off my good grass, then dying back in the fall leaving dirt. I used Scotts Halts Plus, but that has NO affect on either one of these plants. I would LOVE to defeat these two. They're very intrusive and destructive to my lawn. The problem is, I have no idea what they are, and how to defeat them so they're out of my yard permanently. I would be very grateful for the following:

1. Could you tell me what they are?
2. Could you tell me what I need to do to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance!

imafan26
Mod

I don't know what the second one it but the top one looks like one of the miniature bamboos.
https://www.apexbamboo.com/ground-cover-bamboo.html

Most of the minibamboos are runners. There are only two ways to handle them. One is with a back hoe, the other is repeat applications of herbicide. For this one you need to use a non selective one that will kill the grass as well. You will have to treat a wide enough area to make sure the underground rhyzomes are also killed or they will come back. You will have to repeat until it is gone and then replant the grass. Round up will work eventually but if you want to plant grass after do not use any extended formula because you will have to wait a lot longer in order to replant. You can replant after 3 days of regular round up but I would give it a couple of weeks to be sure. Zoysia can usually compete with most weeds if it is healthy, but under shade the bamboo will be more shade tolerant.

Hondo
Newly Registered

Yeah, you may be on to something with the minibamboo. These seem to grow about 1-1/2 foot high if left unattended. They seemed to have started from a downspout from a neighbor's yard, but spread quickly. Hmmm, there must be some other method of removal other than pulling or Roundup.

The first plant I identified above is still cropping out at different points in my lawn. A spring application of Scotts Halts Plus caused these to start turning yellow as summer progressed, but it does not kill off the plant. Barring a chemical application, I will see if hand pulling eradicates it. As you can see from the picture, it has a small, four-pointed flower, which turns into a "nut" of sorts in late summer. It can form dense mats, making me think it's another highly invasive ground-cover that has escaped from someone's garden. I would still be quite interested in knowing what it is and what might chemically eradicate it.

I was able to finally defeat the "Frankenbush" that was in the corner of my yard. That bush sent out LONG runners - as long as 20 feet. The bush was well established when we bought the house. Digging it out with a pick mattock revealed runner roots that were white in color. These broke easily when dug out, and each root section created new plant sprouts. It was only after I had dug up all the soil a foot deep around the bush that I could locate every stem section and remove it from the soil. For three years after, new plants continued to sprout around the bush, and careful digging with the pick mattock revealed the root section, which were removed. I think I've just about ridded the yard of this nightmare bush, whatever it was. Now on to the Rose of Sharon Hibiscus, another bush I should have never planted in the yard. Those were dug up and sent to the dump. The sprouts are showing up all over the yard at this point. Maybe in three of four years I'll have all those pulled.

imafan26
Mod

Rose of sharon is a hibiscus and on tree and bush stumps I used stump killer. It is actually also a ferttilizer potassium nitrate. It works best if the stump is large enough to drill. You drill holes in the stump and apply the stump killer, wet it down and cover it with a bag to block out the light. The potassium nitrate accelearates the rotting of the stump. It does not work fast on large stumps it can take years for it to decay even after it is killed but it can be chipped away with an axe or if it is a big stump you can rent or call a landscape company to grind the stump. My city does not allow burning.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide- ... /202097353

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The sprouts are seedlings. And yes you'll have to pull and pull and pull. I'm dealing with the same thing myself.

catgrass
Green Thumb

The weed you have with the little white flower is Virginia Buttonweed-almost impossible to get rid of and will take over a lawn. It spreads by seeds, underground runners and underground seeds. Best control is a weed/feed killer applied in spring. Other than that you can pull, be sure to get as much root as possible. Here in my south Louisiana yard, I can control it (somewhat) but never eradicate it.

imafan26
Mod

Spreading broadleaf weeds you may be able to control with a selective broadweed herbicide on some grasses like Weedbgone for southern lawns max. Make sure the weed is listed. The grass must be well fed and watered so it can better compete with the weeds. Selective weed killers take longer to kill weeds. You can also use preen as a preemergent herbicide to prevent the weed seeds from sprouting, but don't use it if you plan to plant any seeds. 2,4,D might be a better weed killer than roundup to kill everything including the grass but it also lasts longer. Many weeds are very resilient so you will have to make repeat applications to keep it under control.

Hondo
Newly Registered

Gawd Catgrass, you're right. Virginia Buttonweed. OMG. It's prolific, and once started, spreads rapidly, forming dense matts that choke out everything else. I applied Scotts Halts in the spring, and that seemed to annoy it, and then followed up early summer with a sparyed on herbicide, which intimidated it. The Halts only caused the buttonweed to turn yellow, but it didn't stop it from reproducing. Pulling seems to be the best method. It also reproduces prolifically in my gardens.

I hand weeded a heavily infested area near my driveway. A four by eight foot weeded section completely filled my trash can. This is nasty stuff, as the plants themselves seem to corkscrew up through the grass, and then travel out in long strands, making it difficult to find the source. And it grows and spreads fast.

So thank you for the ID. I couldn't seem to find any good description of this plant on any of the lawn forums. Next summer, I intend to aggressively treat my lawn to see if I can crush this with herbicide. We shall see. Pulling provided immediate satisfaction, but it takes a great deal of time and patience.

imafan26
Mod

Herbicides will take care of runners. You can use a preemergent like preen on the seeds as long as the lawn is well established.

Hondo
Newly Registered

Here's a link to information on control of buttonweed, just in case others have the profound misfortune to discover this weed in their lawn....

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/topics/lawn_ ... buttonweed

Return to “Lawn Care”