Backroads
Newly Registered

Lawn conundrum

So, I have a bit of an issue. My provider of secondary/landscaping water has times they allow water to be on. Suffice it to say I forgot about the sprinklers for a good hour past shut-off time. My consequence is no secondary water for the rest of the year.

Now, we have a boring lawn of grass, nothing fancy. Husband and I have talked about doing something else with the space. Now that watering the lawn has become exceedingly more difficult (would involve using culinary water and a very long hose), perhaps this is the time to kill the lawn and start over.

Problem: city ordinances don't allow for ugly lawns, to put it in plain speak. So we can't just ignore the grass for the season. That being said, I have friends in high city places so we could probably get away with a slap on the wrist. Or we could buckle down and remove all grass this year.

Yes, I could just pay a bit extra on culinary water to keep the lawn looking decent, but this almost seems the right time to change things.

What would you do?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well Utah has several different climate zones and a wide range of rainfall from 30" a year in the mountainous areas to under 10" in much of the rest of the state.

If you live in some of the under 10", then definitely get rid of the lawn. This is not going to get better! And there is no excuse for having a green lawn in the desert.

Look into xeriscaping, which is dry land landscaping with drought tolerant plants. If you don't have time and money to convert all in one season, divide your yard in sections and redo one section at a time. But understand that even the most drought tolerant plants will need some water while they are getting established and putting down roots. Next year they will require little or no watering, but this year they will need some help.

xeriscaping landscapes:

Image colorado

Image San Diego

Image Salt Lake City

Backroads
Newly Registered

Gotta say, looking at the photos makes me want to just buckle down and do it.

I do happen to live in a more mountainous region--certainly not the classic Utah desert some might think of--but still, not a whole heck of a lot of a rain and xeriscaping certainly isn't unheard of in my area. We have a smallish property and already use some of it for food. My inlaws have a quarry on their ranch and have created an incredible stone backyard.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

One way to get water for your new plantings cheaply would be to use your greywater for landscape water. Hand wash your dishes and use a tub of water for rinsing. Use the rinse water to water the plants. Set a 5 gallon bucket in your shower and collect some of the shower water for your plants. If you don't use fabric softener even your washing machine rinse water can be diverted and collected for landscape watering. Google "greywater collection" for lots of tips and details.

And xeriscaping is definitely the way to go! There are so many lovely plants that require little water.

Return to “Lawn Care”