darkimage09
Newly Registered

Lawn Help!

So I decided to take a stab at regrowing my patchy lawn without doing any research and ended up digging up huge patches in my lawn and basically re-seeding entire patches. After doing some research I've discovered what my lawn really needed was to be dethatched, aerated, and overseeded. So I suppose my question is this: How do I deal with revitalizing this lawn that is now part old and in need of an overhaul and part newly dug up and reseeded loose soil?

Dr Blade

Hi darkimage09

We are kind of out of the good lawn renovation spring time frame, so I would do all major lawn improvements in the fall, around September I would:

1) Seed any major bare spots
2) core aerate and over seed the whole yard, core aeration is a much better solution than dethatching.
3) Water, water water.

In the meantime get a soil analysis and adjust and soil problems like PH.
Get on a lawn maintenance schedule that feeds the grass, kills off any existing weeds. This will get what you have in the best shape possible then the seeding in the fall will fill in the rest.

Hope this helps!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

One thing you can do now is to water in compost, if you have any, to feed the subsurface. Grass roots are deeper than many people think they are, and feeding the subsurface will help the grass take hold later on.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Lawn Care”