plowboy7
Newly Registered

Shady/Damp Lawn Care Help Needed

I recently moved into a new house, and the back yard is largely shaded and situated on a slight hill. The yard has a good establishment of bluegrass despite the shade. Because of the location on a slight hill, the bottom of the lawn and certain other areas are often times moist, and, at times water can puddle for a day or two after a rain. I was just hoping to get some input on which grass varieties could tolerate such conditions, as I'd like to seed some of these non-established areas. I live in Nebraska, with a highly variable climate. I was thinking maybe a fine-bladed fescue would be the best option, but I'm looking for advice. Thanks!

JackMatt18

In my opinion Kentucky Bluegrass is the most shade and moisture tolerant of the grasses. Generally, most grasses are a mixture of Kentucky Bluegrass, Tall Fescue and Rye grass. Also, you may want to consider a simple drainage solution just before the slope. I have actually installed many of these inexpensive systems and it will help with 80% of the water problem. If you go to your local garden center they can recommend what materials you should use.

Return to “Lawn Care”