mercy1grace2@gmail.com

Help with Slug-eaten Hydrangea leaves

Hi! I think I have the slug/snail probelm under control. :D However, my newly planted pink mophead no longer has the two beautiful blooms on it, but faded pink ones. And the leaves are full of holes. :cry:

Is there anything I need to do to pamper it back to health? Or any signs I can look for to make sure it is not dying?

Thanks!
Jena in Alabam'

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As far as I know, (I personally have just one oak leaf hydrangea, which doesn't exactly make me an expert) hydrangeas are pretty easy care, low maintenance plants, that don't need a lot of fertilization or pruning. The blooms do naturally fade out. One reason people like hydrangeas is that you can leave the blooms on and the dried blooms pretty much last through winter, adding winter interest to the garden.

If the slug problem is taken care of, about the most you can do is add a layer of compost as a top dressing and water it in well and keep an eye out to make sure the slugs don't come back....

Diane
Green Thumb

mercy1grace2@gmail.com wrote:Hi! I think I have the slug/snail probelm under control. :D However, my newly planted pink mophead no longer has the two beautiful blooms on it, but faded pink ones. And the leaves are full of holes. :cry:

Is there anything I need to do to pamper it back to health? Or any signs I can look for to make sure it is not dying?

Thanks!
Jena in Alabam'
You get new leaves every year so that problem will be gone.
Slugs made lots of holes in mine too because of too much rain.
My plants still have flowers but they are established plants 10 -15 years old.
As Rainbowgardener said they are very easy to grow with little care.
I have one in full sun and it needs more water than the other two. It's leaves will wilt a little and I give it water.
They are acid lovers. So I put peat moss around the bottom of the plants

mercy1grace2@gmail.com

Diane & Rainbowgardener,
THANKS! I feel alot better. I'm fairly new to gardening and have jumped in with so many things I can't keep my head on straight :? .

I will go put peat moss on it right now. And wait for the new leaves.

This is a wonderful forum!

Jena

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”