rigardengal

Drying Basil, Parsley, Oregano

I have wonderful basil, Italian flat leaf parsley, and oregano growing and would like to start drying some. I just read on another post about basil, but what about parsley and oregano? A quick method would be best for us!

On a side note, I have used the same herbs, pureed together with olive oil and frozen in ice cube trays. Perfect for starting my fresh tomato sauce and other Italian dishes!

Thanks

Roger

I saw a show on the food network a while back about drying herbs with a regular box fan and cellulose heating/air filters. You place the herbs on the filters, flat, stack four or five of these filters loaded with herbs, put an empty filter on top of the stack, and then tie or bungee cord the whole stack on the wind flow side of the fan, then let it run. After about 10 hours, you flip the order of the stack of filters, and let it run another 6 to 8 hours or until the herbs are dried. Depending on the humidity, it may take longer.

It is supposed to be a better way to dry the herbs; no heat is involved, so the essential oils are not so much cooked as concentrated into the herbs. I've not tried this way yet, but I am planning to.

rigardengal

I'm guessing it was Alton Brown who dried herbs that way, since I think we saw the same episode!!! Gotta love Good Eats! He's the MacGyver of cooking! Thank You!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I too am a fan of Alton! Love that show.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I have nothing to add to this thread but am posting in it so that it is on watch for me. This drying of herbs interests me as I'd like to try some basil sooner or later.

Are cellulose heating/air filters those filters we change out for our furnaces?

Incidentally, any way to watch a thread without having to post in it when it's got good information that I'd be interested in keeping track of?

rigardengal

Watching posts of interest is a good point. I've just been navigating through the forums, looking for the topics that interest me, but I have seen on other forums(not gardening) a personalized list to create, 'posts of interest to watch'

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

There's probably a way to do it. You and me aren't finding it though. Someone will come along and tell us how to do it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You know I dry herbs and clover just by laying them on a towel in a baking sheet on a shelf. It takes about a week and works great. Alton has a lot of great advice but, there's nothing simpler than the old fashion way.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Tee he, think both rigardengal and me were trying to figure out how to get notified of new posts in threads that we just want to watch and not post in but good to know that herbs can be dried on towels on baking sheets in a closet. No special equipment and it sounds kinda like a toy easy bake oven! Set it and forget it!

damethod

Just wanted to throw in a quick Hooray for Alton!

I saw that episode as well and was sooo close to buying a fan and some filters at the Home Depot the other day. I believe he dried beef jerky in the episode I saw..but, he did mention the herb episode..or that you could do the same with herbs.

damethod

Lorax..yes, he used furnace filters.

As for basil..I dried some sweet basil on a metal baking sheet in the oven at it's minimum temperature setting. I forgot about it for a little over an hour and 95% of the leaves were dried up. I crushed them up with my hands and stored them in a spice jar.

It doesn't seem to have lost any flavor. I use it all the time in several recipes and as a pizza topping.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

I dried bay leaves and thyme sprigs by tying them together with twine, and hanging them upside down in a sunny kitchen window. Worked wonderfully. Took a while--this is not a speedy way to dry herbs--but it worked well.

Hanging them upside down is so that the essential oils get concentrated in the leaves.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ah, furnace filters. Thank you damethod.

wolfie

To those wanting to watch threads without posting, if you scroll all the way down below the ads, on the left there is a link that says watch this topic for replies, just click that and you're all set.

praying mantis
Cool Member

Cool, wolfie.

I am drying lavender wands in my closet.
I dried oregano outside on my porch.
I am drying flowers between wax paper and chemistry books.
I am torn about investing in a dehydrator.
I think...........yes.

Jacob_Valleau

I agree- Alton Brown rocks my foot clothes.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”