mbaker410

How long for Basil?

How long does basil take to grow from seed to a usable plant? I have had basil planted since 4/27 and it is just now getting its second set of true leaves. does this sound right?

I am growing everything indoors as of now with at least 16 hours of light and they get water when the flat seems to be getting dry. (on top of the soil that is.)

Thanks!

mbaker410

bump! 22 views!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Apologies for not catching this before.

Well, once you have large leaves, you can start pricking them off. No, real set time period. I have two plants outside growing in compost and potting soil with some mushroom manure. They do just great.

Don't overwater them, basil likes it when the soil basically dries out before you water it. Also, it likes heat.

mbaker410

Ok, right now I have them in the starter post and I think its time to transplant. Does it matter what type of pot and do you think it will need to be hardened off in order to go outside in a planter?

I did not know that about the water either! thanks for the tips and I will let you know how it goes and even get some pictures up tonight of them.

Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi there, doesn't really matter what type of pot you use or the type of soil. Don't use peat though, there are several reasons not to use peat but, I won't get into them here.

Be careful when hardening your plants off, at first just leave them outside for a few hours during the day and move up the time from there.

If you have one of those little greenhouses that you can buy from hardware stores, basil lovely to grow in those.

mbaker410

ok, I actually have 4 of those greenhouse things but should I put them outside with the lid on? I thought that wasn't good for them once they have sprouted?

Mike

mbaker410

here is my basil as it sits now.

[img]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/mbaker410/Plants%20and%20Vegetables%202008/DSCF1897.jpg[/img]

praying mantis
Cool Member

Thank you for the pictures. Your plants look beautiful. You have inspired me to revisit planting from seed indoors. My first attempt was instructional rather than productive.

My friend tried my mint sun tea today and was not into it. She then reminded me of the basil flavored water we enjoyed at a local Thai restaurant. I believe it was a hint that I don't mind taking to heart.

Basil sun tea is next on the list.

mbaker410

I am glad that I offered some inspiration for you. This is my first time and is mostly instructional but I don't like to lose so I am giving it my all.

I actually just had some of my basil last night for dinner on a sandwich and it was quite tasty.

Mike

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”