orgoveg
Green Thumb

Saffron Crocus

It has been a very long time since I posted here. Saffron is so expensive to buy and I find it important to include in paella. Has anyone here successfully grown their own crocus sativus flowers and harvested saffron? Any advice appreciated.

applestar
Mod

Funny you should ask -- just this morning, I was just looking at the ones I planted last fall to replenish the ones I thought had died -- I was worried because I planted them late -- and they are doing great! The bulbs themselves are not expensive at all -- it's the labor of harvesting that make the spice(?) herbe(?) expensive -- and I heartily recommend growing your own. :wink:

Here's the link to thread where I posted about them --
Subject: Saffron

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Wow. Very quickly, you gave me alot of information to work with. I am also in zone 6, although my neck of the woods has been very strange the last two winters. I like what you have done and it looks really good. I think I remember you as the one who just lets weeds grow as they are beneficial to the soil and you are somewhere in New Jersey. I have somewhat used that idea over the late and off-season. Thanks alot!

applestar
Mod

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”