angiecis

Borage Troubles

I have so many troubles trying to grow borage and I am not sure why. The leaves keep turning yellow then brown and then dying. Am I giving it too much sun?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Borage like a slightly alkaline soil, it does not need a rich soil and it likes it on the dry side. I think yours maybe could use more sun and a drier media. The bottom of my leaves look like that too especially when it rains. I don't usually try to get borage to grow until the early summer when there is less rain.

angiecis

I have noticed the leaves get bad in the rain as well! I have been trying to bring the borage plants in on rainy days. Thank you for the tips!! I love the idea of keeping borage in my garden to help feed local bees.

imafan26
Mod

Yea the bees love blue flowers. I try to grow borage every year but I have to wait until early summer after most of the rainy season has passed. It is like lavender, sage, and geraniums, they are designed to live in semi droughty conditions so they have hairs on their leaves that soak up every drop of water. When they get inundated they turn black. I have to keep my lavender under the eaves so when it rains most of it stays dry. I do have to remember to water there because they can't actually live on no water.

The flowers have a slight cool cucumber flavor and are a good addition to salads, float in punch or make into lemonade ice cubes for tea.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”