Asd0123
Newly Registered

Heat and humidity tolerant rose?

I live in Arkansas in the United States. In winter the temperature can drop to 0F and in Summer it can get as high as 110F. Both are rare extremes, but I've seen them. Also summers are very humid. I'd like to grow a damask rose, or something with a similar scent that would thrive well enough under the circumstances. Thanks in advance!

imafan26
Mod

The roses that do best in humidity are the ones with glossy leaves. That being said the roses that seem to survive anything have been baby blanket (a landscape rose from Jackson and Perkins, and red cascade, a mini rose I bought at a local store that is a rambler. Both of these roses grow like weeds and get no special care they are not fertilized or sprayed.

The other roses I have had that did well still required fertilizer and antifungal sprays during the rainy season. They are also planted near a light to keep the rose beetles at bay. The other two roses, red cascade and baby blanket, survive even without the light.

The roses that I have kept the longest are Chicago Peace, Peace, Proud Land, Red Simplicity, Queen Elizabeth, Mr. Lincoln, First Prize, Pristine, Chrysler Imperial, Olympiad, Red Masterpiece, Iceberg, New Day, and Summer Fashion. Tropicana did o.k. but I took it out because it has a large flower but a weak neck and I don't like droopy roses. I also had a David Austin rose until recently called Gertrude Jekyll but I just replaced it this year. When it rains for weeks it is easier to use systemic rose care rather than try to spray with fungicide every 3-7 days. Systemic rose care kills sucking insects and also controls mildew and blackspot. I do have to disbud the roses when I do this because it is harmful to bees for about 6 weeks.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The wife and I were gifted a tea rose bush several years ago as an anniversary present from her sister. It sits prominently in the front boxed in garden and does very well year round in our New Orleans heat and humidity of summer months. I usually cut it back a good bit this time of year and by spring it is nice and full of new growth and loaded with flowers. The only problem with the tea rose is they don't last but 3 days at most and they fade pretty quickly. I do take the time to remove any dead or dying blooms just to keep the bush looking as good as it can.

I don't know the variety, or even the rose name, only that it is a tea rose type bush.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”