dogwalker17
Newly Registered

light green basil plant

I'm growing an italian basil plant in a pot. I've noticed in the last couple days that it is turning a faded light green color. my plant is getting plenty of all day sun so I know that isn't the problem.

I am pruning and using the leaves, at least as much as I can. should I cut it down more? it is getting very fluffy.

am also in the process of putting up a greenhouse. I live in zone 5 (illinois) and my greenhouse will be heated only by the sun. at the end of the summer can I bring in this pot and continue growing it or will it die because of the change in temps?

thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It always helps to show us a picture or two to try to diagnose problems. It is in a pot. Have you been fertilizing?

Your basil will die by winter because it is an annual, genetically programmed to grow, bloom, set seed, and die all in one season. You can prolong its life by keeping it cut back, never letting it bloom and set seed. But I have tried bringing them indoors, under lights, for the winter and never felt like the results were worth the effort. My indoor wintering basil plants hung on to life, but just barely and by spring were all woody and not very healthy or productive to try to start a new year.

If you want indoor winter basil, it works better to start fresh from seed. End of summer, I get out my Aerogarden and plant herb seeds in that.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

For my indoor basil and Thai basil I root some cuttings in Sept., though I have to look hard for some w/o flowers! This is much faster than starting from seed. And I use Serrata basil - a short, bushy variety, that is slow bolting, and esp. good for inside, but also in my windowsill boxes . Renee's also sells seeds for a shorter Genovese variety, that is good for indoor growing.

dogwalker17
Newly Registered

thank you both for your reply. after reading many of the posts regarding growing basil during the winter months and then your reply I now know I will start fresh with seed.

I am new at gardening as I never had the space. but I do now and am having such a great time with it. I know nothing about it so trial and error it is.

so glad that I found this site. great reading on really anything I need.

I've got a lot of basil in jars in my kitchen rooting in the water for quick use. I'm even giving it away. this little bush has a life of it's own. but love putting it anything I can.

thank you again for your input.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”