Greywolf

Choosing a pot for BASIL - the root ball is the key

BASIL is a plant that can grow a meter tall (three feet)

My experience is that at the end of the season, the roots have only spread out to about a one gallon size - and this is important. The roots of the plant are the whole plant. GOOD ROOTS = GOOD PLANT

So choosing the right pot or planter is critical for what you want to grow, and for BASIL what you want is about ten inches wide and deep (1/4 to 1/3 of a meter) with good soil.

Less than that will crowd the roots and stunt the plant, more is not needed.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, pot size critical for basil and other plants. When by mid summer the dirt in pot is hard and mostly roots, and needs watered daily, time to up pot size. Duh!

I am a broken record in suggesting to people to use larger pots, both width and depth. This helps to moderate temps and moisture, and the roots need soil to 'eat'. As I have plant starts at the farmers market, field quite a few questions.

imafan26
Mod

People still have to be sensible about it though. Some people will put a small plant in a giant pot, so they don't have to pot up. But that can come back to bite you. Some plants cannot tolerate very wet soil and one tiny plant in a big pot cannot use up all the water in wet media in a pot so it stays wet too long and dies. I like to start with a 4 inch pot and when true leaves come out up pot to the 6 inch or gallon. I keep potting up the plant as long as it is still growing. For a big plant like a tomato, citrus tree, or shrub it ends up in an 18 gallon pot. Beyond that, it is in the ground.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'm scratching my head on this, imafan. Usually an herb or flower start from home grown or the 4" or 6 pack from garden center goes direct to pot or ground. Perhaps its the soil mix I use that too wet isn't the problem. For some smaller pots (less than 12" I sometimes use MG potting mix.

Greywolf

A lot depends on if you are growing it indoors or out of doors.

Houseplants are generally grown in smaller pots than they really need or deserve, but this keeps them small

On the average - OUTDOOR Basil plants have a ball of roots about 12 inches across

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”