katiedee
Newly Registered

Kratke method for Herbs

I've spent hours trying to find a hanging Kratke herb garden from a skylight that's been done before. No such animal exists apparently. I have a large skylight that I would like to hang an herb garden from in a 3 foot square frame. I will be suspending the containers from the frame by way of a platform grid designed with 1/2" dowels that are crisscrossed and leaving approx. 4" openings in which to drop in the containers to hang from the top edge - assuming the edge has a lip on it that will be wider than the opening of the grid. However, I don't want to use glass jars due to the weight. I want to use plastic, but not bottoms of 2 liter bottles that I've seen in videos. Any input on design ideas and construction of the Kratke pots would be very appreciated.

imafan26
Mod

The issue would be the weight and the size of the reservoir. Most of the hanging gardens use self watering pots, but they stiill don't have a big enough reservoiur and if you made a larger reservoir, it would get quite heavy.

applestar
Mod

Isn't Kratke a hydroponic method? Should I move the thread?

I think that's why the popular methods for hanging/vertical gardens use gravity to drip the water down from the topmost container down to the bottom, then back to the main reservoir (sometimes on the top, sometimes on the ground/floor).

Most often DIY designs use upside down plastic bottles with soil or with water and net cup or with hydro medium like clay balls (that would still be heavy won't it? I suppose perlite would be much lighter). If you are handy/skilled with glass cutters, I imagine you could use glass bottles.

I've been mulling over how I want to try building a vertical garden for a while now. I would love to see how yours turn out. You are so lucky to have the skylight situation. Please keep us posted with your progress. :-()

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”