Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil, bye bye

Basil doesn't like to go below 40, and I harvested the stalks and stuff I could for the farmers market. There are about 8 10" pots of new ones, but not real productive yet. They're on the utility cart and will go back out this weekend, perhaps for a week. Also have some bitty babies in 4" pots. They grow so much slower now than in July! Duh!
Purple basil takes chillier temps better than green, FWIW!

Other stuff slow in growing. The lemon verbena is hanging in for growth, but may be going into winter rest. I'm in zone 7, and it usually comes back. Same with pineapple sage. The lemon verbena has done better in pots than ground, somewhat a surprise, and I keep plants both places. I plan to add more next season.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Susan, I pulled the basil plants out of one bed and dug it out to take the "debris" from digging of the dahlias. The other basil was tilled in. All of it was completely dead.

It is amazing how pleasantly fragrant dead basil plants are! I mean, these things are dry & brittle.

The lemon verbenas are in 2 pots. I thought that the bigger plant wasn't going to get thru last summer after a tough winter. It is doing great and still much bigger than its replacement!

They won't make it thru winter outdoors here, I don't imagine. The lemon verbena joins the pots of rosemary on the floor of the unheated greenhouse. They will be covered when the temperatures are real cold - sometimes, thru both days & nights. I'm planning on using a clear plastic film for at least some of the covered days this winter.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I pulled my basil plants. Since I have basil coming out my ears, I did go ahead and make oil of purple basil. No idea what I will do with it, but it is a very intense color, nearly black.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Our basil was in the greenhouse and it's gone bye bye.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I have harvested seeds and scattered seeds in the herb bed from sweet basil, purple basil, dill, and fennel. Also harvested and dried leaves for winter use. The plants are still producing and new ones are sprouting from the scattered seeds. I will have fresh herbs another month or 2. The Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Parsly and Oregano survive our mild winters. The production slows in the winter but there is enough to harvest when needed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"The Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Parsley and Oregano survive our mild winters."

All of those including the new hardy rosemary survive my, not nearly so mild, winters as well. They go dormant and don't produce at all, but they do survive.

But the seeds don't seem to. I have scattered basil seed and I have even (slightly) buried basil seed in the fall, but I have never had any come back the next year. Same with oregano and sage. My thyme is in pots, so it doesn't have much chance to re-seed itself. I have occasionally had parsley come back from last year's seed.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Basil and dill come back from seed like weeds. Next spring I will have to thin.. Difference in growing conditions.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”