RogueRose
Green Thumb

Garlic...almost ready?

Kinda hard to tell in this photo, but my garlic appears to be "drying up" despite the fact we've been getting buckets of rain lately. Definitely starting at the bottom and working the way up but I notice the top ones are looking a little puckered too. Harvest time soon? This is the first time I'm growing garlic...I "accidentally" grew 4 bulbs last year

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks to me like it has a ways to go yet. You want several of the bottom leaves to be brown and shrivelled.

Is it hardneck? If so it will make scapes and then will be finished about a month later.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Looks to me like it has a ways to go yet. You want several of the bottom leaves to be brown and shrivelled.

Is it hardneck? If so it will make scapes and then will be finished about a month later.
I can't remember if it was hard or soft. If I touch the stalks it doesn't appear that hard. How hard is hardneck?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I'd say give it 2 more weeks then stop watering for 1-2 weeks then harvest.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I'd say give it 2 more weeks then stop watering for 1-2 weeks then harvest.
Yeah I was going to give it another 2 weeks. Kinda hard to stop watering when the heavens keep opening up every day! :shock: I've just been noticing that despite all our rain we're getting they're starting to 'dry up' yet not necessarily fall over.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”